Version 0.28: This article may not be up to date for the latest stable release of Crawl.
Fly is a status effect that sends you soaring above the ground. It makes traversing terrain with water and lava much easier.
- Ability to safely cross deep water and lava.
- Ignore most effects of shallow water.
- Movement speed and EV bonus for tengu.
- Removal of some stealth bonuses and penalties:
Overall, the negatives of flight are minimal, unless you are a swimming species.
Some sources of flight are temporary and will eventually expire. If your flight expires over deadly terrain (such as deep water or lava), you remain in the air but take significant draining every turn until you reach safety.
- Potion of flight.
- Casting or being caught in a Polar Vortex (very short-lived).
These sources of flight are permanent, allowing you to fly continuously:
- Intrinsic of gargoyles, tengu, and black draconians once reaching high enough XL.
- Other draconians may gain the ability by randomly mutating.
- Equipment with the flight ego (normally found on boots, barding, and some artefacts).
- A ring of flight
- Prior to 0.27, Airstrike dealt bonus damage to flying targets. Player-caused sources of flight could be cancelled and re-evoked. The ring of flight was also temporary.
- Prior to 0.23, Tengu only gained temporary flight at XL 5, only getting permanent flight at XL 14.
- Prior to 0.19, you would die instantly if your flight ran out over deadly terrain.
- Prior to 0.17, flight could be achieved using the Flight spell.
- Prior to 0.16, flight protected you from mechanical traps. There was also a Flight card.
- Prior to 0.15, flying creatures had a 2/3rds chance of dodging thrown nets.
- Prior to 0.13, flight could protect you from electrical attacks.
- Prior to 0.12, flight increased the caster's carrying capacity. Also, wands of paralysis, the Petrify spell, and nets could instantly kill flying creatures by dropping them into deep water or lava.