|Causes the air around a creature to twist itself into a whirling vortex of meteorological fury. It does more damage to targets surrounded by empty space.|
Airstrike is a level 4 Air Magic spell which hits a single enemy, dealing moderate wind damage using smite-targeting (anything in your LOS can be targeted with perfect accuracy). For every adjacent tile that is empty (not a wall or creature, minimum 3), the damage increases and becomes less variable.
Airstrike is a useful spell for elemental specialists who lack the means to deal with enemies immune to their attacks. Cloud-producing spells may match its accuracy and exceed its power, but they lack precision. It's also useful for summoners, as they can fire past their summoned creatures without fear, and it is lethal to most flying nuisances, like harpies.
While the damage bonus from empty space is desirable, it is by no means necessary. At modest spell power (50 to 100), the average damage boost from eight tiles of empty space is around 30%. If you need something dead now and don't have time or space to lure it into a better position, Airstrike will still do the job, it just might take an extra cast or two.
This spell is known by a number of opponents, who can hit you from any distance.
The following enemies cast Airstrike:
- 2 Blizzard demon (8-23 damage)
- @ Cloud Mage (8-37 damage)
- w Gastronok (8-37 damage)
- Q Sojobo (8-37 damage)
- i Spriggan air mage (8-26 damage)
- C Titan (8-37 damage)
- k Wind drake (8-16 damage)
- Prior to 0.27, Airstrike dealt 50% bonus damage to flying targets.
- Prior to 0.25, Airstrike damage did not vary based on the empty space around the target. The old formula was :
8 + 1d(2 + Power / 7)
- In 0.20, the Airstrike damage formula was given a much-wanted simplification. The old formula was:
7 + 1d(1d4 1 + (1d(Power) - 1)/6) + (1d(Power) - 1)/7)