| A pile of glittering gold coins.
"Here it was that the ambassadors of the Samnites, finding him boiling turnips in the chimney corner, offered him a present of gold; but he sent them away with this saying; that he, who was content with such a supper, had no need of gold, and that he thought it more honourable to conquer those who possessed the gold, than to possess the gold itself."
Gold is the universal currency of Crawl. It has several uses, the most common being to purchase goods from shops.
Gold may be obtained in many ways:
- Gold can be found lying on the floor like any other random treasure. Especially large piles of gold are often found at the bottom of Dungeon branches, and the Orcish Mines contains almost nothing but gold.
- Gold is one of the options a scroll of acquirement can be used for, granting you anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand.
- Xom occasionally gifts piles of gold to worshipers.
- Gozag's worshippers has passive ability Golden touch: defeated enemies turn into piles of gold.
Properties of Gold
Gold is not carried in the inventory or assigned a letter like other items are. You can check how much gold you are carrying by using the $ command.
Since no effect can remove gold (Maurice notwithstanding) or harm you for carrying it, there is no reason not to carry it.
Uses for Gold
- Buying items from shops. Note that you can only buy items from shops, never sell.
- Worshipers of Zin can sacrifice gold at an altar of Zin to gain piety.
- You can draw an Alchemist card to heal your character in exchange for some gold.
- You can draw a Mercenary card to buy a permanent ally.
- Improving your score at the end of the game.
- Gozag requires a service fee for joining.
In ancient versions of Crawl, enemy centaurs, nagas, and yaktaurs were supposed to occasionally spawn with barding. However, the code mishandled the no-barding case, and gave the monster a pile of gold instead. This caused large quantities of gold to be generated in the Snake Pits and the Vaults.