|The Monk is a member of an ascetic order dedicated to the perfection of one's body and soul through the discipline of the martial arts. Monks start with only a simple weapon and a robe. When they choose a god for the first time, their spiritual training gives them a piety boost.|
Demigods cannot be Monks, as they refuse to worship a god.
Some species may receive different items based on their unique restrictions.
Starting Skills and Stats
These are adjusted by your species' aptitudes.
- Ashenzari: Monks are provided the first set of curses much sooner.
- Gozag: Monks skip the entry fee.
- Ru: Monks are immediately given a set of sacrifice options to make upon conversion.
- Xom: No effect.
- Yredelemnul: Create multiple allied derived undead to reach ** piety.
The Monk bonus does stack with that of a faded altar.
The main appeal of this background is the piety boost you gain upon choosing a god, especially when worshiping a god who offers bonuses at 1* or even 2* of piety, such as Okawaru or Makhleb. On the other hand, surviving until you find a suitable god to worship can be more challenging than with better-equipped backgrounds like Fighter or Gladiator.
- Prior to 0.19, monks could not choose a starting weapon - instead they always started with unarmed combat.
- Prior to 0.10, there was no piety bonus gained upon choosing a god.
|Warriors||Fighter • Gladiator • Monk • Hunter • Brigand|
|Zealots||Berserker • Abyssal Knight • Chaos Knight • Cinder Acolyte|
|Warrior-mages||Enchanter • Transmuter • Arcane Marksman • Warper|
|Mages||Hedge Wizard • Conjurer • Summoner • Necromancer • Fire Elementalist • Ice Elementalist • Air Elementalist • Earth Elementalist • Venom Mage|
|Adventurers||Artificer • Wanderer • Delver|