For a list of all centaur-type creatures, see list of centaurs.
| A hybrid with the torso of a robust human atop the body of a yak. Although they excel in ranged combat, they are also formidable foes in close quarters.
“When Peleus, some distance away, saw him torn apart by the frightful wound he shouted: ‘Accept this tribute to the dead, at least, Crantor, dearest of youths’, and with his powerful arm, he hurled his ash spear, at full strength, at Demoleon. It ruptured the ribcage, and stuck quivering in the bone. The centaur pulled out the shaft minus its head (he tried with difficulty to reach that also) but the head was caught in his lung. The pain itself strengthened his will: wounded, he reared up at his enemy and beat the hero down with his hooves. Peleus received the resounding blows on helmet and shield, and defending his upper arms, and controlling the weapon he held out, with one blow through the arm he pierced the bi-formed breast.”
Yaktaurs are half-yak, half-human hybrids; essentially stronger, more dangerous relatives of centaurs. Yaktaurs have more HP, wield crossbows instead of bows (for higher damage and accuracy), and usually travel in packs, but lack a centaur's speed. They are common menaces throughout the Vaults and the Depths.
Tips & Tricks
- Treat them like you would centaurs: lure them into melee range around corners and be prepared for fire or cold damage if they have branded weapons (which they often do). In spite of their flavour text, they are not actually very menacing in melee.
- The biggest change in strategy is to try not to get into melee with one or two yaktaurs while the rest of the pack gets time to shoot at you. Giving yaktaurs a few turns to pepper you with bolts can be surprisingly lethal.
- Fortunately, they won't try to shoot past their brethren, so you can hide behind a couple yaktaurs while you wait for the rest of the pack to move up to you.
- Unlike centaurs, yaktaurs are easy to run from. If you encounter a pack and don't have a chokepoint to force them through, feel free to flee.
- Yaktaurs are a good reason to have a source of RMsl while exploring the Vaults or Depths, but they're not insurmountable without one.