Lehudib's Crystal Spear
|Hurls a lethally sharp shard of crystal.|
Lehudib's Crystal Spear (or LCS) is a level 8 Conjurations/Earth Magic spell that launches a massively powerful, irresistible projectile at a single target. Much more than merely an upgraded version of Iron Shot, this is the ultimate single target damage spell, found only in the Book of Annihilations. At maximum power, it can deal up to 230 damage, though it's strongly biased towards the still-staggering average of around 117 (10d22 with a 30% chance of 10d23).
However, this spell's drawbacks are significant. As a dual-school Level 8 spell, it is particularly difficult to cast; don't be afraid to settle for Iron Shot, a perfectly respectable option for taking out single targets. LCS has a high MP cost, very short range, can be blocked or evaded, and is a miserable option when taking on multiple foes at once. In a large battle, save it for taking out the hardiest foes very quickly (orbs of fire, Pandemonium lords, fiends, hell sentinels, etc.), then switch to a lesser spell to clear out the rest.
Tips & Tricks
- Borgnjor's Vile Clutch combos well with Lehudib's Crystal Spear -- pinning enemies in place reduces their evasion, allowing you to set up a lethal one-two punch.
Certain fearsome monsters can also cast Lehudib's Crystal Spear, often with the ability to one- or two-shot unprepared or fragile adventurers. Even the weakest casters can inflict up to 69 damage with it, while the most powerful (ancient liches) can deal up to 144. It is entirely possible for a monster to cast this multiple times in a row, so make these enemies a very high priority in combat.
The monster version of this spell functions identically to the player version, except with a much more variable damage output:
monster_spell_damge = 3d(16 + power / 10) where power = 12 * monster_hit_dice
The following enemies cast Lehudib's Crystal Spear:
- e Deep elf annihilator (3d34 damage)
- & Dispater (3d35 damage)
- q Draconian annihilator (3d35 damage)
- V Jory (3d37 damage)
- 8 Roxanne (3d32 damage)
- D Serpent of Hell (Dis) (3d36 damage)
The following enemies may be able to cast Lehudib's Crystal Spear, depending on their spell set:
- L Ancient lich (3d48 damage, 20.0% chance)
- O Erolcha (3d23 damage, 33.3% chance)
- L Lich (3d40 damage, 20.0% chance)
- O Ogre mage (3d28 damage, 33.3% chance)
- Pandemonium lord (5.2% chance)
- p Wizard (monster) (3d28 damage, 33.3% chance)