|A strikingly realistic sapphire statue of a famous earth mage who disappeared after a catastrophic spell failure. She is clutching a book.|
Roxanne, Geomancer Emeritus is a unique statue that can cast powerful Earth Magic and uses an irresistible blink spell to keep you within her attack range. If you can somehow keep your distance from her, she's harmless, but she can brutalize anyone who gets too close.
While she resists all elements and has a fair amount of AC, she doesn't have a melee attack and her spells can be affected by Silence and antimagic. Killing her is always rewarded with a (possibly randart) spell book filled with Earth Magic and Transmutations spells. The book is guaranteed to contain Statue Form.
Tips & Tricks
- Spellcasters can wear her down with long-range, irresistible spells; Airstrike, Lee's Rapid Deconstruction, or Orb of Destruction will cut through her fairly quickly. Anyone else can accomplish the same through use of ranged weapons, though this will be a very slow process if you lack any weapon skill.
- Roxanne's longest-range attack spells have a range of 4. As long as you're at least five spaces away, you're safe until she pulls you closer.
- Formicids' natural stasis makes it impossible for Roxanne to blink them closer. If there are no other enemies around, formicids can take their time and destroy her without risk. Other species can temporarily root themselves in place by drinking a potion of lignification, but Roxanne is durable enough that you might need more than one if you're going to be grinding her down over an extended period.
- If you do get affected by her Blink Other spell, don't panic. Attempting to flee on foot will almost always fail. To retreat safely, read a scroll of fog to block her line of sight long enough for you to escape, or simply blink or teleport away if that's not an option.
- Melee fighters should try to get into melee range as quickly as possible and are at extreme risk of taking a brutal amount of damage at any moment. Quaffing a potion of invisibility will seriously hamper her ability to blast you, while a scroll of silence will completely negate her ability to attack you.
- One of the few things Roxanne doesn't resist is acid. If your attacks are having a hard time dealing damage, a wand of acid can reduce her AC enough for other methods to start working.
- Blocking her spells with a shield of reflection is a hilarious way to deal with her, if you've got a respectable SH score. Just be aware that the occasional spell will get past your shield; nothing ruins your day like a sudden crystal spear to the face.
- Swarming her with an army of summons is an excellent way to deal with her; throw enough targets at her and she'll be much less likely to attack you. Still, watch out for her Bolt of Magma, and make sure to keep the reinforcements coming as she harpoons them down one by one.
- Last but not least, if you are having trouble with Roxanne, remember you don't have to kill everything when you first see it. This is true of any dangerous monster, but especially true of a stationary one. Don't be afraid to run away; she'll be there when you come back, if you even feel that killing her later is necessary.