Borgnjor's Vile Clutch
|Borgnjor's Vile Clutch|
|Source(s)||Great Wizards, Vol. II|
Book of Unlife
|Hated By|| Elyvilon|
The Shining One
|Flags||Dir or target, Needs tracer|
|Calls forth hands from corpses interred beneath the dungeon floor long ago. Enemies caught in the area will be held in place and constricted until they break free.|
|Damage Formula||2d((Power + 70) / 20) per turn|
|Max Damage||2d(13.5) per turn|
Constriction damage increases over time
Borgnjor's Vile Clutch, also known as BVC and zombie hands, is a level 5 Necromancy/Earth spell that affects all enemies in a beam-targeted line with the constriction status (displayed as "constricted by zombie hands"). Constriction deals damage over time until the affected monster(s) die, escape constriction (which they must waste turns to do), or the effect runs out. In most cases, the monster will die or escape before the status runs out. If you leave line of sight of any affected enemies, they are immediately released.
Only a small number of monsters are not affected by BVC, all of which are also immune to regular types of constriction. They include:
- All slimes and jellies.
- Insubstantial enemies, including wraith-type undead, many monsters in the Abyss, and orbs of fire.
- Spiny enemies
In addition, enemies over deep water or lava are unaffected.
BVC is a very versatile spell: You basically now have access to an unlimited number of Throwing nets that cannot only pin but even kill a large number of enemies in a few casts, and has a few specific benefits:
- Cannot be dodged and is largely irresistible (except for creatures listed above).
- Reduces the target's EV, making them easier to hit with melee or other destructive spells. This combos well with other Earth Magic spells, like Iron Shot or Lehudib's Crystal Spear, which both suffer somewhat from low accuracy.
- Pins the target in place, allowing the player to move away even from fast enemies without attacks of opportunity.
- Makes the target waste turns trying to escape, similar to nets. Enemies that can reach you will still attack you in melee, but this means BVC's effect will last longer since they're no longer trying to escape.
- This notably also works on Fiends, who seem to prefer breaking loose from constriction over tormenting you. Place them in a cloud that harms them, keep the BVC up and that may already be enough to kill them comfortably, even if you encountered an early one in an Ice Cave.
- Destroys whole groups of enemies in corridors, since it affects the whole beam path. Other piercing attacks, like javelins, work well in conjunction.
- Prior to 0.26, a few more monsters were spiny - porcupines, torturous demonspawn, and hell sentinels - and thus immune to constriction.
- Prior to 0.25, BVC affected a smite-targeted 3x3 area instead of a beam path.
- Prior to 0.22, BVC was also found in the book of Necromancy and it did 33% more damage than currently.
- The spell was added in 0.21.