For a list of all merfolk, see list of merfolk.
| A beguiling merfolk whose voice mesmerizes listeners. It carries no weapon, but its song summons drowned souls to defend the sea against intruders.
“Then up it raise the mermaiden,
A merfolk avatar is similar to a siren, but much more insidious and deadly. Like sirens, they will attempt to mesmerise you shortly after noticing you. Unlike sirens, however, they will then keep as far away from you as possible, retreating into deep water when able, and begin summoning swarms of drowned souls to kill you. They are occasionally found throughout the Shoals.
Tips & Tricks
- High magic resistance will let you ignore the singing effect. The spell can also be broken early by killing or confusing the siren, as well as through a number of other methods. See the mesmerise page for a full list.
- Although random blinks and teleports can also break mesmerism if you manage to leave LOS, you cannot willingly make controlled blinks or teleports away. If you can't lose the intrinsic no matter what, try teleporting to a space occupied by a monster to force the game to send you on a random teleport instead.
- Her drowned souls aren't very durable, but there are a lot of them and they won't stop coming until the avatar is defeated. Focus on killing her quickly, and all her souls will dissipate.
- For melee-focused characters, if you have a means of flying and hasting yourself, then you can just chase down the avatar and take her out up close. This poses significant dangers, of course, as you'll be taking significant amounts of asphyxiation damage from her drowned souls as you rush in. If possible, use ranged attacks instead to take her out more quickly.
- Unbreathing species (the undead, gargoyles, and grey draconians) have little to fear from the drowned souls. Focus on other, more immediate threats first.