Your regeneration rate is the speed at which your character recovers HP. It is affected by many things, almost all of which stack.
Your base regeneration rate (BRR) follows one of the following formulas:
- If below 60 max HP (MHP)
MHP / 3
- If 60 MHP or higher
MHP / 6 + 10
Total regeneration rate (TRR) is modified as follows, in this order:
- The amulet of regeneration (or amulet of Vitality) adds 40.
- A randart with Regen+ adds 40.
- A troll leather armour adds 40, now even for trolls.
- The moon troll leather armour unrandart adds 40 in addition to the previous bonus.
- The regeneration mutation adds 40 per level.
- The demonspawn mutation Powered by Death has a chance to add a temporary regen bonus of up to 300 per kill, depending on mutation level. This bonus can be increased by further kills up to a maximum of 1000-1200, but falls by 100 every 2-5 turns.
- If you are a vampire and Alive, add 20.
- If you are a Bloodless vampire or have the Inhibited Regeneration mutation, set your rate to 0 if there are monsters in your LoS.
- If you are suffering from Collapse, divide by 4.
- If you are a deep dwarf or you are sick, set the rate to 0.
- Trog's Hand adds 100. Because this effect is applied last it is not modified by any other factors, and can even heal deep dwarves.
Every turn of 10 auts you accumulate regeneration points equal to your TRR. When 100 are gained you heal 1 HP, and excess regeneration points are carried over to the next turn.
If your last action didn't last 10 auts, the amount of regeneration points you gain is scaled with the amount of time taken.
At 100 MHP your BRR is 26. In order to get 100 BRR you would need 540 MHP. For 50 BRR, 240 MHP. As can be expected, regeneration items are far more efficient at raising your TRR than stacking HP.
- You have 30 MHP so you use the first formula. Your BRR is 30/3 => 10. It will take 10 turns to accumulate 100 regeneration points and heal by 1 HP. Your healing rate is 1 HP for every 10 turns.
- Same as above, except you have a troll leather armour, which adds 40 to this rate. Your TRR is 10+40 => 50. It will take 2 turns to accumulate 100 regeneration points and heal by 1 HP. Your healing rate is 1 HP for every 2 turns.
- You have 90 MHP which is over 60 so you use the second formula. Your BRR is 90/6 => 15+10 => 25. It will take 4 turns to accumulate 100 regeneration points and heal by 1 HP. Your healing rate is 1 HP for every 4 turns.
- Same as above, except you have the regeneration 1 mutation, which increases your RR by 40. Your TRR is 25+40 => 65. It will take 1.53 turns to accumulate 100 regeneration points and heal by 1 HP. Your healing rate is 1 HP for every 1.53 turns.