Your regeneration rate is the speed at which your character recovers HP. It is affected by many things, almost all of which stack.
Your base regeneration rate (BRR) follows one of the following formulas:
- If below 60 max HP (MHP)
MHP / 3
- If 60 MHP or higher
MHP / 6 + 10
So for every max HP below 60, BRR increases by .333..., and every MHP above 60, BRR increases by 0.166...
Total regeneration rate (TRR) is modified as follows, in this order:
- The Regen+ property adds 80 per instance.
- The demonspawn mutation Powered by Death has a chance to add a temporary regen bonus of up to 300 per kill, depending on mutation level. This bonus can be increased by further kills up to a maximum of 1000-1200, but falls by 100 every 2-5 turns.
- If you are a vampire and Alive, add 20.
- If you have Inhibited Regeneration (from the mutation, being a Ghoul or Bloodless vampire, or suffering from Collapse) , set your rate to 0 if there are monsters in your LoS.
- If you are a deep dwarf or you are sick, set the rate to 0.
- Jiyva adds anywhere between 80 and 160, depending on piety level.
- Trog's Hand adds 100.
Because the last two effects are applied last, they are not modified by any other factors and can even heal deep dwarves.
Every turn (10 auts) you accumulate regeneration points equal to your TRR. When you accumulate 100 points, you heal 1 HP, and excess regeneration points are carried over to the next turn.
If your last action didn't last 10 auts, the amount of regeneration points you gain is scaled with the amount of time taken; your regeneration rate will remain consistent regardless of how quickly or slowly you are acting.
At 100 MHP, your BRR is 26. In order to get 50 BRR (regain 1 HP every 2 turns), you would need 240 MHP; for 100 BRR (heal every turn), you would need 540 MHP. Items or mutations that increase regeneration are far more efficient at raising your regeneration rate than stacking HP.
- You have 30 MHP so you use the first formula. Your BRR is 30/3 => 10. It will take 10 turns to accumulate 100 regeneration points and heal by 1 HP. Your healing rate is 1 HP for every 10 turns.
- You have 90 MHP which is over 60 so you use the second formula. Your BRR is 90/6 => 15+10 => 25. It will take 4 turns to accumulate 100 regeneration points and heal by 1 HP. Your healing rate is 1 HP for every 4 turns.
- Same as above, except you're wearing a troll leather armour, which adds 80 to this rate. Your TRR is 25+80 => 105. You accumulate 100 regeneration points and heal by 1 HP every turn, with 5 left over. Your healing rate is 1 HP every turn, with an additional HP every 20 turns.