|A human whose savage roars bring terror to all those who hear them.|
Rupert the Wild is a unique human berserker who wields a branded two-handed weapon (such as a battleaxe, great mace, or great sword) and wears decent armour. After spotting you, he'll attempt to disable you from a distance before raging, rushing in, and dealing obscene amounts of damage. Also known as the Sigmund of the Lair, he's very hard to escape (let alone defeat) once he gets going.
Tips & Tricks
- Rupert's spell set makes him a surprisingly dangerous opponent. Finding yourself paralyzed for several turns while he rages and charges in is a quick and frustrating way to die, but fortunately you can block this with high willpower or a wall of summoned allies. His confusion is not as bad, as you can quickly cure it with a potion of curing, but it's still not ideal.
- He thankfully has no resistances apart from anything his equipment might give him, so no backgrounds should find themselves unable to harm him. Sending a swarm of summons to take him out is one of the safest approaches (5-6 ice beasts can take him down easily), but any ranged attacker going all out should be able to take him down (just be ready to blink or teleport away if he gets too close). Melee fighters face the most risk, as his weapon can cleave through most defenses you'll have by the time you reach the Lair, especially if he's got a decent brand on it.
- He's got too many hit dice for Mephitic Cloud to work reliably on him, enough willpower to block most mid-level Hexes, and he's just too dangerous to gradually wear him down with weaker spells. For spellcasters, the best strategy is to hit him with everything you've got as quickly as possible, preferably while hastened, brilliant, and/or otherwise buffed.
- If you can swim or fly, deep water can keep you safely out of Rupert's reach. Simply wait out any confusion or paralysis, and wear him down with ranged damage or poison. Trained Throwing specialists can take him out with a stack of poisoned darts if they catch him on the other side of a lake.
- Rupert cannot see invisible. If you need an edge in combat or to just get away, a potion of invisibility can help.
- Rupert has a chance of spawning with one of the rare heavy weapons, such as a triple sword or executioner's axe. It's great if you were looking for one and can get it away from him, but actually doing so is easier said than done.
- Prior to 0.28, Rupert could see invisible.
- While he and his spell set were unchanged, with the removal of the Berserker Rage player spell and the changing of Crusaders to Skalds, Rupert was restyled as a Trog worshiper in 0.9. The text for his Confuse and Paralyse spells was changed to match: apparently one can induce confusion and paralysis by yelling loudly enough.