|A large and gnarled mangrove, possessed of sapience and a cantankerous disposition. Its roots run deep through the water and soil of its marshy home and can make footing very difficult for those who provoke its ire. Despite their kind's sour countenance, marsh fauna are often found nesting within their branches; beware, for they may not take kindly to being disturbed.|
Shambling mangroves are massive forest guardians, large and powerful but slow. Along with their brutal melee attacks, they have a smite-targeted constriction ability which reduces your EV and increases your movement delay while standing on solid ground. Flying victims are occasionally grabbed and pulled to the ground as well.
Some shambling mangroves are generated with a few hornets inside them, which will be released automatically once the mangrove is reduced below 50% HP. These creatures count as normal monsters for experience purposes and are not replenished.
Released monsters consider the shambling mangrove their band leader; even if you kite the shambling mangrove away from its swarm, the insects will eventually regroup with and accompany it.
Shambling mangroves can be found in the Swamp.
Tips & Tricks
- If you lack poison resistance, killing the hornets should be a major priority, and even if you have it, you should be wary of them as they still have a 1/18 chance to paralyse you on hit. They should however be trivial with poison immunity.
- To avoid the effects of Grasping Roots, you can fly over deep water or lava. Just don't have the spell run out with you floating there!
- Prior to 0.23, shambling mangroves' Grasping Roots ability did not perform smite-targeted constriction instead of applying a 'grasping roots' status.
- Prior to the removal of wasps in 0.19, shambling mangroves could release wasps.
- Prior to raven removal in 0.17, shambling mangroves could also release ravens.
- Shambling mangroves were added in 0.14. During the shambling mangrove's development, it was originally known as a treant and was found in the Enchanted Forest, an experimental branch that never made it into a stable release.