Scroll of blinking
|A scroll that allows its reader to teleport a short distance, with precise control.|
Reading a scroll of blinking causes you to blink to a square of your choosing within your line of sight with perfect accuracy. The selected square must be visible, monster-free, and cannot be behind a translucent wall. You must be able to stand on the tile, though dangerous clouds are ignored. The scroll is consumed when read, though it can be canceled if already identified.
These scrolls are one of the most reliable means of escape in the game, but are fairly rare. Only consider using them after ruling out your other means of escape.
These scrolls are not infallible. The following things will interfere with their use:
- Being unable to read scrolls: being silenced, confused, berserk, or brainless
- Wearing/wielding any item with the -Tele intrinsic.
- Attempting to blink while constricted may fail. Blinking counts as 2 escape attempts, and one must pass for the scroll to succeed.
- Being affected by Dimension Anchor, a rare monster-only spell. This will temporarily inflict the player with -Tele.
- Miscasting Translocations spells may lock you in place (a worse version of -Tele), preventing you from blinking.
- Not having LOS to a proper escape route, whether by fog or being in dangerous areas like Tomb.
- Prior to 0.26, scrolls of blinking induced magical contamination, and caused an uncontrolled blink in Zot or while holding the Orb of Zot.
- From 0.20 to 0.25, reading the scroll in Zot had the behavior of an uncontrolled blink.
- Prior to 0.11, reading a scroll of blinking caused no magic contamination and would always escape from constriction.
|Acquirement • Amnesia • Blinking • Brand weapon • Enchant armour • Enchant weapon • Fear • Fog • Holy word • Identify • Immolation • Magic mapping • Noise • Silence • Summoning • Teleportation • Torment • Vulnerability|