| A swampy wasteland, the Swamp is filled with ooze, muck, flies and large slavering carnivorous monsters.
A dungeon features only one of the Swamp and Shoals branches.
This branch is very noisy, and so sound travels much less far.
The entrance to this branch can be found between levels 2 and 3 of the Lair of Beasts.
This branch is 4 levels deep.
This branch contains the decaying rune of Zot.
Each floor is large and open, with trees and plants providing the only cover most of the time. You'll find small islands of land and the occasional ruin or vault amid large masses of shallow water. Clouds of thin mist occasionally generate, which do nothing except prevent other clouds from occupying its tile.
You can set trees on fire to create passages. The resulting forest fire will create immense amounts of steam and may go out of control, however!
- Due to Mephitic Cloud-breathing swamp drakes, Poisonous cloud-breathing Swamp dragons, and the general watery nature of the Swamp, it's a bad idea to attempt this branch without poison resistance or a source of cloud immunity. You could also rely on a large supply of potions of curing or Elyvilon's Purification ability to overcome confusion and poisoning, but these will end up costly if used this much.
- Two other resistances may prove helpful: rCorr for Goliath frogs, and willpower for Fenstrider witches. You might be fine with careful play, but may regret it when you are paralyzed and heavily corroded while hydras gnaw all over you.
- Consider having some means of flying; without it, the shallow water can fatally slow you down if you need to retreat. Many of the monsters encountered in the Swamp receive speed boosts in the water.
- Edged weapon users may also need some alternative means of killing hydras. See the hydra article for an in-depth list of methods.
|w Swamp worm
|w Tyrant leech
|F Goliath frog
|k Swamp drake
|D Swamp dragon
|n Bloated husk
|y Vampire mosquito
|n Bog body
|t Ghost crab
|i Spriggan rider
|i Spriggan druid
|f Thorn hunter
|f Shambling mangrove
|H Fenstrider witch
|X Tentacled monstrosity
|i Spriggan air mage
|i Spriggan berserker
|k Death drake
|d Bai Suzhen
|D The Lernaean hydra
- Depending on which ending you get, you might also come upon undead variants of the usual Swamp inhabitants or a number of other dangerous monsters. Tread carefully on the last floor!
The decaying rune of Zot is in a monster-filled vault on Swamp:4. While it's always a good idea to clear the rest of the floor first, the exact nature and difficulty of this vault varies each game.
- Swamp: The classic "swamp" vault is an ovoid vault heavily defended by hydras, swamp dragons and swamp drakes. While otherwise unremarkable, the sheer number of foes you'll face upon reaching the vault can easily prove overwhelming. Keep the path back to the stairs clear, just in case.
- Swamp alternative: "swamp_alternative" bisects the original "swamp" vault with a lava pool, and adds a few fiery monsters (lindwurms, fire dragons) to the mix.
- Old school: This vault resembles the pre-0.5 Swamp layout - it's a large, haphazard room which contains the usual mix of swamp dragons, drakes, and hydras. What sets this vault apart is the Lernaean hydra hiding in one of its niches.
- Fiery: "swamp_fiery" is full of dragons and other fiery monsters. Flame clouds occur here naturally. Fire resistance obviously helps.
- Icy: "swamp_icy" is full of simulacra and other frozen monsters (freezing wraiths, azure jelly); hydra simulacra can really pack a punch. Freezing clouds block the entrance this time.
- Pestilence: "swamp_pestilence" is guarded by zombies, spectral things, and other undead. This time, miasma clouds block the way.
- Vile: "swamp_vile" is an abandoned, flooded temple, occupied by demons and beasts. It contains demonic monsters, including large abominations, green deaths, death oozes, hell beasts or even a tentacled monstrosity.
- Castle: "grunt_swamp_rune_castle" is a square-shaped vault with inner 4 rooms - one will contain the Lernaean hydra.
- Basic: "swamp_basic_johnstein" has a small chamber leading to 3 separate inlets. Has a small chance of containing the Lernaean hydra.
- Death and Undeath: A hallway leading to two separate rooms. One contains life, including thorn hunters and shambling mangroves. The other features death, including two vampire knights and a zombified Lernaean hydra.
- Witches Coven: A pentagram circumscribed into a circle. Features fenstrider witches, other wizardly creatures, and a few demons (including blizzard demons and green deaths).
- In 0.31, two vampire knights in one Swamp:4 rune vault will be replaced with ghouls.
- Prior to 0.29, the Swamp was found between Lair:2 and Lair:4.
- Prior to 0.27, the Swamp wasn't loud.
- In 0.26, new monsters were introduced: Eleionoma, Bunyip, Goliath frog, Will-o-the-wisp, Bloated husk, and Fenstrider witch, which all made the branch much more dangerous. Deep water was mostly removed from the branch. Prior to this version, the Swamp was often considered to be the easiest lair branch.
- In 0.25 came a new Swamp ending themed as a conflict between Yred and Fedhas that includes an undead version of the Lernaean Hydra.
- During its history, the Swamp has received countless changes to the list of monsters inhabiting it. Many unthreatening monsters have been pruned.
- Prior to 0.17, the Swamp was five levels deep.
- In 0.11, the Swamp was given an improved layout, with smaller and more compact levels, and more trees. It is also less misty than before.
|The Dungeon • The Temple • The Depths • Realm of Zot
|The Lair ( Spider's Nest • Snake Pit • The Swamp • The Shoals • Slime Pits)
|Orcish Mines ( Elven Halls) • The Vaults ( The Crypt • The Tomb)
|The Abyss • Pandemonium • Hell ( Cocytus • • Dis • Gehenna • Tartarus)
|See also: Portal