|Drives nearby creatures into an insane frenzy, causing them to mercilessly attack anything and everything nearby with great strength and speed.|
All susceptible monsters who fail a willpower test will be frenzied. Frenzy turns monsters "neutral", causing them to attack the nearest creature. Additionally, monsters will gain haste and might for the duration, and can't cast spells. Monsters are slowed for a brief time afterwards.
This spell can affect all monsters with low enough willpower, including nonliving, plant, and mindless creatures. This spell will affect allies, though it will not affect allies which you can never harm (such as Fedhas plants or Demonic Guardians).
Discord is a great spell against groups of enemies. Some monsters may resist the spell, but they'll usually be torn apart by their frenzied brethren. Even in the lategame, you'll face packs of low-moderate will monsters, such as ogre bands, deep troll packs, and draconians in Zot. The Vaults:5 entry is also a great target for Discord.
Tips & tricks
- After frenzying a pack of monsters, you'll usually want to get away, fast. You don't want to be swarmed by a pack of hasted and mighted monsters.
- Frenzied monsters can attack others even if they aren't in your LOS. For example, you can use Dispersal to teleport frenzied monsters around the whole level, causing monsters to fight each other on the other side of the floor. This is unlike a great majority of things in DCSS.
- Unaffected monsters do not usually target their former allies, unless they themselves get attacked by them. Coupled with the increased damage and speed, it is possible for a frenzied vault guard to walk up to several mighty dragons and slaughter them one by one.
- If you need to stop frenzy, you can dispel it with Yara's Violent Unravelling or a wand of quicksilver.
- You get full XP from frenzied monsters - both when a frenzied monster dies, and when a frenzy monster kills others.
- Looking for a Discord server instead? See for example https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/6hcvwy/is_there_any_dcss_community_discord_server/.
- Prior to 0.28, Discord could not affect sleeping monsters, and did not haste or might creatures which weren't natural holiness. You would not get XP when a frenzied monster died. Also, gods which hated attacking neutral monsters would forbid attacking a frenzied one. In 0.28, frenzy can be dispelled again.
- In 0.27, Discord's frenzy could not be dispelled.
- Discord was added in 0.13
- beam.cc:1785 (0.30.0)