Version 0.28: This article may not be up to date for the latest stable release of Crawl.
|Source(s)||Book of Chaos|
Book of Hexes
|Flags||Wl check, Area, Hasty|
|Drives nearby creatures into an insane frenzy, causing them to mercilessly attack anything and everything nearby with great strength and speed.|
Discord is a level 8 Hexes spell that attempts to frenzy all monsters in your line of sight.
All susceptible monsters who fail a willpower test will be frenzied. Sleeping creatures are not affected by this spell, and neither are mindless creatures with non-natural holiness. Monsters exhausted after having gone berserk are temporarily immune.
Frenzied creatures attack anything (including you) and also go berserk if they have natural, demonic, or holy holiness.
Since the power limit of the spell is 200 and it gets a 50% power boost like other mass enchantments, it can affect even late-game monsters.
This spell is hated by Cheibriados, who will impose penance on any player casting it.
- Affected monsters are neutral while under the duration of the spell. Note that most spells do not automatically target a neutral target, though this is more of a comfort issue.
- This spell is especially useful against groups of living enemies. Even if some of them resist, they will usually be torn apart by their berserk former allies. (You do get experience for kills done by affected monsters.) Ogre bands, Deep Troll packs and the Draconians in Zot all make good targets.
- After using this spell you'll usually want to get out of sight fast, to prevent accidentally being swarmed by several berserk opponents. (The duration of this spell is not dependent on your LOS.)
- Very, very useful on Vaults:5 entry if you can get away from the ensuing bloodbath.
- Unaffected monsters do not usually target their former allies unless they themselves get attacked by them. Coupled with the increased damage and speed from berserk, it is possible for a frenzied Vault guard to walk up to several mighty dragons and slaughter them one by one.
- Looking for a Discord server instead? See for example https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/6hcvwy/is_there_any_dcss_community_discord_server/.