|A truly terrible weapon, it drains the life of those it strikes.|
The draining brand adds a draining effect to a melee weapon's attacks against most enemies. Each of your attacks has a 50% chance of doing all of the following:
- Deal an additional amount between 1 and 50% of the physical damage dealt as negative energy damage.
- Deal an additional 1 + 1d3 negative energy damage on top of that.
- Inflicts 20-30 turns of the the Drained status, which temporarily reduces the monster's HD. This reduces their magic resistance, spell power, accuracy, and many other things, but does not reduce their experience value. Further hits can refresh this status, but won't increase the duration beyond 30 turns.
In enemy hands it has a very different effect, dealing additional negative energy damage and inflicting the drain status effect. This lowers all of your skills by an amount that increases as you take more and more draining damage, and which only diminishes as you gain experience. This effect can be very dangerous, especially in prolonged battles.
Negative energy resistance greatly reduces the effect of draining branded weapons. Each rank of rN+ you possess reduces both the chance and impact of the draining by 1/3, and reduces the additional damage taken by 50% at rN+, 75% at rN++, and 100% at rN+++. Monsters with resistance take differently scaled reduced damage (rN+: 1/3 off, rN++: 1/2 off, rN+++: 3/5 off), and each rank gives an additional 33.3% chance of negating the HD- and max HP-reducing effects. All undead and demonic monsters completely ignore the brand's effects.
Tips & Tricks
- Draining is an evil brand. Good gods will not approve of using a draining branded weapon in combat.
- Draining is a very useful brand in areas with living opponents.
Prior to 0.15, draining weapons would permanently lower monster HD, which also slightly lowered the experience and piety rewards for killing them.
Prior to 0.13, draining weapons used against the player had no impact on your skills. Instead, it permanently reduced your experience, potentially causing you to lose experience levels.
|Melee weapons||Antimagic • Chaos • Distortion • Dragon slaying • Draining • Electrocution • Flaming • Freezing • Holy wrath • Pain • Protection • Reaching • Reaping • Returning • Speed • Vampiric • Venom • Vorpal|
|Launchers||Electrocution • Evasion • Flame • Frost • Penetration • Speed • Venom • Vorpal|
|Throwing weapons||Confusion • Curare • Dispersal • Exploding • Frenzy • Paralysis • Penetration • Poisoned • Returning • Silver • Sleep • Steel|