For a list of all arthropods, see list of arthropods.
|A giant bee, bearing a deadly barb which can sting repeatedly.|
Killer bees are poisonous flying insects that live up to their name. They're twice as fast as most characters, attack in swarms, and can quickly inject fatal amounts of poison in lightly-armoured characters. They are found in the middle-Dungeon, the Lair, and anywhere else where their hive vaults occur.
Tips & Tricks
- Be extremely wary of encountering out of depth swarms of them, as it is almost certain death for a character to come across them on D:2 or D:3. If possible, close doors with C to keep them from reaching you.
- Never believe that there's just one bee on the floor. They always travel with friends.
- With poison resistance and decent AC, they're nuisances. With only poison resistance, they can be a handful if they surround you. Without either, taking them on in melee is often suicide.
- Poison attacks work wonders here. Mephitic Cloud will make a tightly-clumped swarm slaughter itself, while a weapon of venom will make short work of them; however, with the bees' 18 EV, you will need to have decent accuracy with said weapon. Ignite Poison and Poisonous Cloud are good for quickly clearing out any large bee rooms you might find later on.
- Bees have relatively low MR, so wands of enslavement can be effective in turning some of them onto your side.
- When things go badly, don't forget about your potions of curing.
- A potion of lignification can give lightly-armoured characters some much-needed AC and poison resistance, greatly reducing the threat of a pack of bees.
- Since bees are mindless, Conjure Flame also works well against them. Drop a few clouds of flame around yourself and the bees will happily roast themselves. High spellpower is better and if you have a chance, recast it when there are no bees in your clouds so that you don't end up in melee with 3+ killer bees. Works best in corridors.