Potion of lignification
|A potion which temporarily transforms the imbiber into an animated tree with branches capable of holding weapons. Such a tree is quite resilient, although it is rooted in place while the transformation lasts, and cannot teleport.|
Quaffing a potion of lignification transforms you into Tree Form for a little while. As a tree, you cannot move, blink, or teleport, and your EV is reduced to almost nothing. You can read scrolls, cast spells, wield weapons, and zap wands, however, and you are granted significant HP, physical defense, and plant resistances (rPois, immune to pain and torment).
Ghouls and bloodless vampires are unaffected, while followers of Zin incur piety loss and penance if they knowingly drink this potion. Tree Form also doesn't stop Lugonu's Bend Space ability.
Lignification is great at both the beginning and end of an adventure. Early on, the high AC, rPois, and unarmed branch attacks make it very useful for defeating tough and/or poisonous monsters like killer bees. In the extended portions of the game, immunity to torment give it a dedicated use against enemies like curse toes. It's especially good in the Tomb, avoiding death curses as well as the ever-common dispersal traps.
Species with armour restrictions (Felids, Octopodes, oddly-sized species) will enjoy the AC for a greater amount of time. Trolls have a special use for Tree Form, as its high AC and boosted, non-chopping unarmed attacks are perfect for taking out hydras.
Of course, this comes at a major cost - the complete lack of movement and teleportation - which should not be taken lightly. Hallways are as important as ever, for example. Ranged enemies will be able to strike you from impunity, too. A potion of cancellation will let you end Tree Form early, but such potions are rare and valuable; choose when to enter Tree Form carefully.
Tips & Tricks
- A potion of attraction will force reaching/ranged enemies, such as polearm wielding gnolls, to come closer.
- The inability to move also gives immunity to enemies that shove you around (wind drakes, swamp worms, monsters with Force Lance, Roxanne).
- Tree Form will negate the attack penalties of standing in shallow water.
- Keep in mind that transforming into Tree Form will suppress the innate abilities associated with your original species, leading to possibily unexpected results. For example, if you were a formicid, quaffing the potion to fight an invisible enemy might be counter-productive, since you will lose your Antennae which allowed you to see invisible.
- Prior to 0.28, plants, including players in treeform, gave rN+++.
- Prior to 0.27, treeform gave you 48% GDR (instead of AC determining it).
- Prior to 0.24, vampires below full were unaffected.
- Prior to 0.15, you could not quaff potions, eat, or speak while in Tree Form.
- Potions of lignification were added in 0.14, replacing potions of slowing.
|Ambrosia • Attraction • Berserk rage • Brilliance • Cancellation • Curing • Degeneration • Experience • Flight • Haste • Heal wounds • Invisibility • Lignification • Magic • Might • Mutation • Resistance|