| A malign force from the space between planes. It is hostile to the magic forces that removed it from its home. These horrors are often the result of mistaken summoning spells and have slain many aspiring wizards.
“Then the sallow oval between Ged's arms grew bright. It widened and spread, a rent in the darkness of the earth and night, a ripping open of the fabric of the world. Through it blazed a terrible brightness. And through that bright misshapen breach clambered something like a clot of black shadow, quick and hideous, and it leaped straight out at Ged's face.”
Nameless horrors are monsters that only appear as a result of miscast Summonings spells. They are durably summoned into existence, and their HD (and thus many of their stats) depend on the severity of the miscast.
Tips & Tricks
- Their large HP pools and ability to strip you of your magic make fighting them with spells a difficult proposition at best. Characters with access to direct damage spells that don't involve poison or negative energy have the best chances -- nameless horrors are outright immune to Hexes and can abjure other summons (not to mention the inherent risk of miscasting again and making more nameless horrors).
- As durable summons, nameless horrors are worth no XP and do not drop any loot, so there is no reason you cannot simply run away and leave them for later. Fortunately, they are no faster than the average character. If you can increase your movement speed at all, you can outrun them and leave them for later.
- Nameless horrors can't fly or use doors. If you can put some impassable terrain between you and them, you'll be able to safely leave them behind.
- Consider luring them upstairs to a cleared floor, then breaking away and leaving them where you'll only have to worry about them if you find yourself backtracking.
- Nameless horrors were introduced in 0.25.