Scroll of random uselessness
Obsolete: This article refers to an aspect of the game which has been removed. It is retained for historical reference only.
|A scroll with no apparent practical use.|
Scrolls of random uselessness were a common kind of scroll, which, upon reading, has a chance to create a series of harmless, impractical effects. At worst, it can produce a noise and wake up nearby monsters.
| "The dust glows a [weird glowing colour]!"|
"[Your weapon] OR [Your hands] glow [weird glowing colour] for a moment."
"You smell [weird smell]." OR "Your bandages flutter." (if you are a mummy, and thus cannot smell)
"You experience a momentary feeling of inescapable doom!"
"Your brain hurts!" OR "Your ears itch." OR "Your nose twitches suddenly!"
"You hear [weird sound]." (generates a little noise at your position, the loudness is the same for all [weird sound]s)
- In 0.27, these scrolls were removed.
- Prior to 0.19, the scroll wasn't completely useless, as reading it had a 1 in 8 chance to Summon Butterflies.
- Prior to 0.17, the scroll could reassemble itself when the player read it.
- Prior to the skill training overhaul in 0.9, scrolls of random uselessness could be used to train the first level of Spellcasting, which gave them some slight desirability, particularly for their ability to sometimes reassemble in the player's hands.
- Prior to 0.5, these scrolls were not identified when used, a trait which could make them genuinely annoying at times.
|Acquirement • Amnesia • Butterflies • Blinking • Brand weapon • Enchant armour • Enchant weapon • Fear • Fog • Identify • Immolation • Magic mapping • Noise • Poison • Silence • Summoning • Teleportation • Torment • Vulnerability|