Staff of Olgreb
|A staff which was once wielded by the mighty wizard Olgreb.|
Activation Rate: Evocations × 10%
Extra Damage: 1d(Evocations × 1.875) - 1
30% of this damage is irresistible.
Target also receives the poison status - this ignores poison resistance
OTR Success Rate: 100%
Spell Power: (1 + Evocations) × 5
Cost: 4 MP
If you plan on using lots of Poison Magic, the staff of Olgreb is an excellent find. Not only does it enhance poison spells, but the melee damage can be decent if you train some Staves and Evocations.
For those who never plan on using Poison Magic, this staff can still be quite useful:
- It can evoke Olgreb's Toxic Radiance, even with 0 skill training. OTR is a devastatingly strong AOE spell in the early-game (Dungeon, Lair, Orc, and Spider's Nest). While the staff takes up the weapon slot, you can always swap it in or out.
- It is one of the few sources of poison immunity. In addition to all the benefits of rPois, it prevents the paralytic poison of hornets and jorogumo 100% of the time. When tackling Spider or Snake, some form of poison resistance/immunity is nice to have.
The staff will occasionally spawn in a special vault full of assorted poisonous enemies (bees, spiders, and snakes). This can be an excellent find early on, though attempting to reach the staff at the end without already having a source of poison resistance can be risky. Frozen Ramparts is quite effective here, since it ignores the high evasion such creatures tend to share, nothing in the vault resists cold (and it will slow the cold-blooded snakes), and the tight quarters will force multiple enemies to take damage each turn.
- Prior to 0.28, the staff had a fail check for evoking Olgreb's Toxic Radiance (but only 5 Evocations skill was required to get 100% success rate). Also, OTR could be activated from the v menu, instead of being an ability.
- Prior to 0.25, the staff of Olgreb had a chance to cast Venom Bolt as well as Olgreb's Toxic Radiance when evoked, and only had a resistance-piercing chance to inflict poison instead of dealing additional poison damage.
- Prior to 0.19, its enchantment level was based on your skill with Poison Magic (Poison Magic/3).
- Prior to 0.14, it only granted poison resistance instead of complete immunity.