Summon Small Mammal
|Summons a rat, bat, or quokka to the caster's aid. Spell power increases the chance of summoning a quokka.|
Summon Small Mammal is a Summonings spell which summons one weak monster.
Summoners start with this spell memorized.
One small mammal is summoned. Higher spell power can result in a stronger mammal. There is a summon cap of 2; additional summons will cause the oldest to very quickly time out.
- r Rat - Low damage and fragile, but better than nothing.
- b Bat - Extremely fast and evasive, but does virtually no damage.
- r Quokka - Decent damage and HP. Good all-round early on.
There is a
1 - 10 / <power> chance of a quokka. If a quokka was not summoned, there is an equal chance for either a rat or a bat.
Duration of the summon is around 27 turns; it does not depend on the spell power.
Summon Small Mammal is a level 1 spell; it can kill most things on the early Dungeon floors. But, as it creates summons, it can remain useful for a while longer:
- By swapping places with a summon, you create a space, avoiding attacks of opportunity in the process. This can let you pillar dance any 10-speed melee enemy.
- Even if you have no serious plans to summon things, this spell can be very effective when combined with a scroll of immolation (or the Inner Flame spell). When an ignited small mammal dies, it'll create a big (3x3) explosion, enough to take out all sorts of threats throughout Dungeon & Lair.
A single cast will summon 1 to 3 creatures, with duration of around 81 turns. Each summoned creature has 33% chance of being a bat, otherwise it will be either a rat, a quokka, or a river rat with equal chances.
The following enemies cast Summon Small Mammal:
- Prior to 0.28, this spell had a summon cap of 4.
- Prior to 0.14, this spell could also summon grey rats, and had a summon cap of three.
- Prior to 0.13, this spell could summon multiple creatures, and was known as 'Summon Small Mammals'.
- Prior to 0.12, a more powerful version of the spell known as Vampire Summon was used by vampires, vampire knights, and deep elf summoners. It summoned 3-5 mammals (with orange rats in place of quokkas).
- In 0.6, it was nerfed again, limiting the effect to at most two summoned creatures, and green rats and orange rats were removed from the spell's possible results.
- Prior to to 0.4.3, this spell was affectionately called 'Spammals' for its easy ability to flood your surroundings with allied monsters. The spell was nerfed somewhat for balance reasons.