Version 0.18: This article may not be up to date for the latest stable release of Crawl.
For a list of merfolk monsters, see list of merfolk.
|water nymph m|
|Attack1|| 12 (touch: drown)
|Type||water nymph, water nymph|
| A capricious nature spirit, deeply bonded with the waters in which it lives. Wherever they flow, so may it, and ponds and rivers surge and leap at its whim.
“Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.”
Water nymphs are amphibious creatures which force their prey into water before drowning them. They can deal heavy smite-targeted asphyxiation damage with their magic to any creature standing in or flying over water, and have a passive one-tile aura of shallow water which follows them around (though it takes it some time to catch up). This water effect can cover stairs, rendering them unusable.
Water nymphs are found in the Shoals.
|Spell set I|
|Slot1||Waterstrike (3d17)||Wizard flag|
Tips & Tricks
- Mephitic Cloud or Silence disables their magic nicely, though killing them at range solves the problem even more effectively. Flight or playing a large species will protect you from the risk of stumbling due to their water aura, but their Waterstrike spell can still affect you.
- Water nymphs can only deal significant damage to you if you're in the water. However, their ability to spread water tiles means that once you're in the water, it can be hard to get out again.
- Water nymphs can cover the stairs with water, making it impossible to escape. This significantly raises the risk of any encounter involving them.
- Water nymphs do not have rSteam, and take a great deal of damage from steam. This makes wands of flame a fairly effective way of killing them.
- Prior to 0.28, water nymphs could see invisible and were explicitly female.
- Water nymphs were added in 0.14