For a list of all arthropods, see list of arthropods.
| A large, brightly coloured butterfly with beautifully patterned wings, fluttering incongruously through the darkness of the cave.
“Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.”
Butterflies are harmless flying monsters that are fragile but difficult to hit. They most often appear when using a scroll of butterflies, but "hostile" butterflies can be encountered throughout the Dungeon and the Lair. Butterflies wander around aimlessly, as if they were confused. They offer no XP upon death.
Tips & Tricks
- A scroll of butterflies can be used to block line of fire and distract melee attackers. Butterflies are evasive, so projectiles may pass through the butterflies and hit you.
- Polymorphing a butterfly can turn it into something worth XP, but so little that it's probably not worth the wand charges.
- Hostile butterflies will also block line of fire, so killing it will let your shots (and enemies') pass through. If you absolutely need one dead fast, Magic Dart or any EV-ignoring will kill it without fail.
- Prior to 0.29, butterflies had more EV (25 -> 15).
- Prior to 0.26, the spell Summon Butterflies existed.
- Prior to 0.19, reading a scroll of random uselessness could summon butterflies.
- Prior to 0.15, evil gods accepted butterfly kills for the purposes of raising piety.