For a list of all arthropods, see list of arthropods.
| A large, brightly coloured butterfly with beautifully patterned wings, fluttering incongruously through the darkness of the cave.
“Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.”
Butterflies are harmless flying monsters that are fragile but difficult to hit. They most often appear when using the Summon Butterflies spell as friendly creatures, but "hostile" butterflies can be encountered throughout the Dungeon, as well as in the Lair. They offer no XP or corpse upon death.
Tips & Tricks
- Polymorphing a butterfly can turn it into something worth XP, but so little that it's probably not worth the effort.
- Killing a butterfly clears the line of sight, if you don't want them obstructing your ranged attacks in the area. Of course, if there's a hostile in the area, this is sometimes a reason to keep them around.
- If you absolutely need one dead fast, Magic Dart or Poisonous Vapours will kill it without fail.
- Prior to 0.19, reading a scroll of random uselessness could summon butterflies.
- Prior to 0.15, evil gods accepted butterfly kills for the purposes of raising piety.
They used to leave corpses and even skeletons, which could be raised as undead. This created amusing zombies that were incredibly fast but lacked any means of attack.