Conjure Ball Lightning
|Conjure Ball Lightning|
|Source(s)||Book of Chaos|
Book of the Spheres
| Creates a pack of ball lightnings, which seek out the nearest enemy before exploding in a huge blast of electricity. Casters are advised to use caution; the lightning is not mindful of what it may hit.
The magic which keeps ball lightnings cohesive has limited range, so they may dissipate harmlessly if allowed to drift too far away from their caster before exploding.
Conjure Ball Lightning is a level 6 Air Magic/Conjurations spell which brings into existence 3 temporary instances of ball lightning which individually home in on any existing, visible creature in the area (except the caster), and explode when in range, dealing 3d20 electricity damage to anything in a 2 or 3 area radius (same chance).
Electricity resistance is highly recommended unless you want YASD.
Like Orbs of Destruction and player-created clouds, ball lightnings dissipate when out of the player's LOS.
The monster version functions similarly to the player version, though they can create 2-5 ball lightnings, and that monster-created ball lightnings do not dissipate when out of the monster's LOS.
The following enemies cast Conjure Ball Lightning:
The following enemies may be able to cast Conjure Ball Lightning, depending on their spell set:
- & Pandemonium lord (3.4% chance)
Electricity resistance is heavily recommended; if you lack a reliable source of rElec (potions of resistance will work in a pinch, but not for general, repeated use), strongly consider choosing a different spell.
If you decide to use CBL anyways, cast it only in the greatest emergency when there is no other alternative and use these precautions: your target should be at the furthest possible range, with no nearby enemies (or plants); the enemy should ideally not be able to blink, summon, or use ranged attacks or spells (any of which might prematurely set off the ball lightnings); the player should move backwards right after casting, to get out of range; should the target be destroyed, the player should remain at a safe distance until all ball lightnings have detonated.
Tips & Tricks
- Plants, fungi, and bushes (but not trees) will attract ball lightning, reducing the spell's effectiveness. When possible, lure your intended target away from any such harmless creatures.
- Ball lightnings cannot see invisible. Casting the spell against an invisible enemy will simply cause your summons to wander aimlessly and ineffectively. If your target is, or has turned, invisible, you can always fire a projectile at a ball lightning to trigger detonation; this will result in all ball lightnings in range being triggered also.
- Only very few, specific creatures have electricity resistance, making this a great all-around spell for area attacks on large numbers of creatures. It's especially suited for attacking creatures who are adjacent to or surrounding the player (since the attack is relatively harmless to the player with rElec).
- Prior to 0.26, the spell could conjure 2-5 instances of ball lightning, formula
min(2 + pow / 100 + random2(pow / 50 + 1), 5). Also, pandemonium lords couldn't cast this spell.
- Prior to 0.14, CBL was a level 7 spell and all ball lightnings were permanently confused.
- Prior to 0.10, ball lightnings had no duration after which they would explode.