Auras are passive abilities that emanate out of certain characters and monsters, affecting anything that comes within their range. The exact effect this has varies by aura.
Halo auras emanate forth from certain holy weapons, monsters, and characters. They have the following effects:
- Negate invisibility of anything within the aura.
- Divides the stealth of all beings within the aura by roughly 2.5.
- Causes everything within the aura to glow, increasing accuracy of attacks.
- Worshipers of the Shining One receive a halo with range based on piety (very small to nearly your entire line of sight)
- Characters wielding an orb of light or the unrand artifact morningstar Eos receive a medium halo.
- Most holy monsters have halos, the size of which depends on the monster in question. Weaker creatures like holy swine and sun moths have tiny halos while powerful creatures like seraphim and ophanim have extremely large halos.
The opposite of a halo, umbras emanate forth from unholy angelic beings. They have the following effects:
- Increases the player's stealth by a factor depending on the source. 1.5 for the ring of Shadows, and between 1.0 and 2.0 based on Piety for the divinely generated version.
- Reduces the accuracy of all within the aura (except for demons, the undead, and Dithmenos or Yredelemnul worshipers).
- Negates the effect of any halo they overlap with.
- Allows use of Dithmenos' shadow step ability.
- Profane servitors have a large umbra.
- Wearers of the ring of Shadows have a medium umbra.
- Worshipers of Dithmenos receive an umbra with range based on piety (very small to your entire line of sight)
The Ring of Flames aura emanates one tile all around their source, creating clouds of flame all around you. These clouds linger for a few turns even after the source moves away. The aura has the following effects:
- Negate any Ice Magic that strikes the clouds.
- Deals fire damage to anything standing in the clouds (but does not injure the source).
- Players can wear the salamander hide armour to gain this aura.
- Asmodeus has a permanent Ring of Flames aura surrounding him.
Polar Vortex auras emanate out from certain rare monsters and players with access to very powerful Ice Magic. They have the following effects:
- Deals heavy, partially irresistible cold damage to everything (except the source) within the aura.
- Moves all affected targets (monsters, items, clouds, etc.) counterclockwise around the source each turn.
- Players and monsters can cast the spell to temporarily gain this aura.
- Diamond obelisks have permanent Polar Vortex auras surrounding them.
When silence auras emanate from a monster or the player, most creatures within the aura lose the ability to make any noise, including speech. This prevents:
- Casting spells
- Reading scrolls
- Directing allies
- Invocable abilities (evocable ones remain unaffected)
The following enemies cast Silence:
The following enemies may be able to cast Silence, depending on their spell set:
- Pandemonium lord (7.5% chance)
The following enemy inherently radiates Silence:
- In 0.27, Tornado was replaced with the cold themed, functionally similar Polar Vortex.
- In 0.26, the Ring of Flames spell and aura is now triggered by the salamander hide armour.
- Prior to 0.19, Powered by Death gave regeneration from nearby corpses, relying on an aura to do so.
- The Moth of suppression and Suppression auras were added in 0.12, and removed in 0.14.