| A gargantuan sea monster, capable of devouring entire ships. It embraces them with its tentacles and draws them into the depths. Fortunately, the tentacles are too big to embrace a small creature like you.
“... Kraken, also called the Crab-fish, which [according to the pilots of Norway] is not that huge, for heads and tails counted, he is no larger than our Öland is wide [i.e. less than 16 km] ... He stays at the sea floor, constantly surrounded by innumerable small fishes, who serve as his food and are fed by him in return: for his meal, if I remember correctly what E. Pontoppidan writes, lasts no longer than three months, and another three are then needed to digest it. His excrements nurture in the following an army of lesser fish, and for this reason, fishermen plumb after his resting place ... Gradually, Kraken ascends to the surface, and when he is at ten to twelve fathoms, the boats had better move out of his vicinity, as he will shortly thereafter burst up, like a floating island, spurting water from his dreadful nostrils and making ring waves around him, which can reach many miles. Could one doubt that this is the Leviathan of Job?”
Krakens are enormous octopuses found in the Shoals. Although they can only move through deep water, they reach out toward you with up to 4 tentacles. Their damage output is tremendous, especially if you allow more than one tentacle to reach you at once. Keep your distance and take advantage of their inability to follow you very far on land. If you encounter them while in shallow water or flying over deep water, escape may prove difficult; their tentacles move faster than any base species.
Tips & Tricks
- Unless you are built for nothing but melee combat, avoid engaging the tentacles directly. Ranged attacks will keep you from becoming splattered on the beach.
- Damage dealt to the tentacles counts toward killing the kraken, which is nice since they often make approaching the body itself difficult. Just remember that it will flee when severely injured, so you may need some long-range attacks to finish it off.
- A kraken's tentacles can extend multiple squares out of the water. This means that if a kraken's head is in line of sight, it can probably reach you.
- Kraken lack poison resistance, so they can be whittled down with tomahawks or needles. A better option is Poisonous Cloud, which will poison the Kraken and tentacles simultaneously. Other cloud spells can also help.
- Krakens have an EV of 0. Bolt of Inaccuracy is your friend, if you have it.
- Disabling the kraken's main body with paralysis or petrification will not stop its tentacles from moving, though it might give you enough time to escape their reach.