|Source(s)||Book of Fire|
Book of the Spheres
|Flags||Dir or target, Needs tracer|
|Hurls an explosive ball of fire.|
|Damage Formula||3d(3.33+Power/6) fire|
Fireball is a level 5 Conjurations/Fire Magic spell which launches an exploding gout of fire at the targeted tile, dealing unavoidable fire damage to everything caught in the ensuing 3×3 explosion. It is an excellent mid-game attack spell, allowing you to rapidly wipe out clusters of enemies.
Player-launched fireballs do less damage than Starburst, but fireballs always hit, can be fired at an angle, and have a lower spell level (thus, lower MP cost).
If you learn the quirks of monster movement, you can potentially hit 8 monsters at a time with a single fireball. If your defenses are up to scratch, you may even want to take a hit or two to maximize your damage output, or to avoid running out of MP midfight.
Fireball's unavoidable nature and burst radius make it especially good for taking out annoying, hard-to-hit foes, such as bands of spriggans or opponents hiding in the back row. Firing it at melee range can be dangerous, however; unless you can aim at a tile behind the foe you're engaged with, you're likely to get caught in your own blast.
The monster version functions similarly to the player version.
The following enemies cast Fireball:
- R Azrael (3d20 damage)
- 2 Balrug (3d23 damage)
- e Deep elf elementalist (3d23 damage)
- q Draconian scorcher (3d26 damage)
- R Efreet (3d15 damage)
- O Erolcha (3d14 damage)
- C Fire giant (3d26 damage)
- h Hell hog (3d20 damage)
- @ Margery (3d33 damage)
- * Orb of fire (3d43 damage)
- D Serpent of Hell (Gehenna) (3d27 damage)
- p Wizard (monster) (3d19 damage)
- Prior to 0.20, Delayed Fireball was a spell based on Fireball. It could be learned for only two spell levels if you had already learned regular Fireball. The spell had the same mechanics as regular Fireball, but could be stored for later use.