Line of sight
There are some ways to change your line of sight:
- The spell Darkness reduces LOS by 25%. The same effect is also provided by the Robe of Night.
- The demonspawn-exclusive nightstalker mutation reduces LOS by 1, 2, or 3 tiles depending on its rank.
The following picture shows tiles within the default field of view with their grid distance.
777777777777777 766666666666667 765555555555567 765444444444567 765433333334567 765432222234567 765432111234567 7654321@1234567 765432111234567 765432222234567 765433333334567 765444444444567 765555555555567 766666666666667 777777777777777
If you can't see them, they can't see you. With very few exceptions, enemies that can't see you can't attack you.
There are several ways to break your line of sight with an enemy:
- Teleporting/blinking out of range
- Closing doors
- Turning a corner
- Reading a scroll of fog
- Going up/down stairs or shafts
- Imprisoning them, or yourself
- If you are faster than them, you can also run away.
- In 0.20 Barachim, a species with the unique +LOS mutation, were added.
- Prior to 0.19, the Shadow card existed and could be used to further reduce the player's LOS.
- Prior to 0.18, the lantern of shadows existed and could be used to further reduce the player's LOS.
- Prior to 0.17, line of sight was circular with a radius of about 8.
- In 0.7, the developers made an undocumented change to the LOS. Ranges are circular now, so every spell and ability that reaches a set distance got about two squares lopped off the diagonals. Stealthy characters can now reach their target in 5 squares (instead of 8) at certain angles.