| Kobolds are small, mysterious creatures of unknown origin. They are well suited to lurking in the darkness of the Dungeon, and have a reduced range of vision which also reduces the range at which they can be seen by enemies.
They are competent in combat, especially with short blades, maces or crossbows, and are comfortable with all forms of magic. They are also very adept at using magical devices. Their small size makes them unable to wield large weapons, but they are agile and stealthy, and advance in levels as quickly as Humans.
- Nightstalker 3: Kobolds' line of sight is reduced by 3, to a range of 4 squares.
- Kobolds are small creatures and are unable to wield bardiches, battleaxes, dire flails, executioner's axes, glaives, great maces, great swords, halberds, longbows, scythes, triple swords, giant clubs, giant spiked clubs, and javelins. One-handed weapons like magical staves, broad axes, tridents, demon tridents and double swords are two-handed weapons to them. They have more difficulty with bucklers and kite shields and are incapable of wearing tower shields.
- Warriors: Hunter
- Zealots: Berserker
- Warrior-mages: Arcane Marksman, Enchanter
- Mages: Conjurer, Summoner
Starting Skills and Equipment
Kobolds receive the skills and equipment listed for their background, with the following exceptions:
Difficulty of Play
|Simple • Intermediate • Advanced|
Kobolds are a straightforward race to play because of their excellent aptitudes in many skills and their size bonus to EV. They have good magic aptitudes overall and advance quickly in experience. Their small LOS makes it easier to sneak up and stab foes, while limiting the effective range of your enemies. Of course, this limits your ranged options as well. Their excellent aptitude for Evocations makes them good Artificers.
The higher the value, the better the aptitude.
|Maces & Flails||-1||Necromancy||0|
Kobolds were originally creatures from Germanic mythology, but they are well known to gamers due to appearing as low-level monsters in Dungeons & Dragons and as creatures in Nethack.
- Prior to the removal of the food system in 0.26, kobolds were carnivorous, but did not have the Nightstalker mutation.
- Prior to 0.21 and the merging of rations, the carnivorous mutation had three levels.
- Kobolds' aptitudes were rebalanced in 0.19. Prior to this change: Axes was -1, Maces & Flails was 0, Throwing was +3, Slings was +2, Bows was -1, Spellcasting was -1, Conjurations was -1, and Transmutations was -1, and Evocations was +3. Kobold base stats were also changed.
- Prior to 0.15, kobolds had 2 ranks of Saprovore and would recover from sickness faster than normal.
|Simple||Hill Orc • Minotaur • Merfolk • Gargoyle • Draconian • Palentonga • Troll • Ghoul • Gnoll|
|Intermediate||Human • Kobold • Demonspawn • Djinni • Spriggan • Tengu • Deep Elf • Ogre • Deep Dwarf|
|Advanced||Vine Stalker • Vampire • Demigod • Formicid • Naga • Octopode • Felid • Barachi • Mummy|