This page is about the monster. For the player species, see Minotaur.
|A large muscular human with the head of a bull. It makes its home in secluded labyrinths.|
Minotaurs are moderately powerful creatures which serve as the final challenge of every Gauntlet: they guard the exit -- and the pile of treasure left behind by the last few adventurers foolish enough to challenge them. They are armed and heavily armoured, carry a stack of deadly javelins, and can counter melee attacks with vicious headbutts, making them dangerous opponents at any range. They do appear sometimes outside of a Gauntlet in the Depths and the Vaults, or in a rare vault in the Shoals.
Tips & Tricks
- Even though they are a "boss"-like monster, Minotaurs can not see invisible.
- Be sure to examine them before the fight to know just how heavy a hitter they're going to be. A bare-handed minotaur is much less of a threat than one wielding an artefact executioner's axe.
- Their javelins hit hard, which makes ranged combat a risky proposition for lightly armoured characters. Invisibility or a scarf of repulsion can help tilt the odds back in your favor. Alternatively, some maps may allow you to run and hide between shots until you've exhausted their ammo supply, then blast them with impunity.
- You do not have to kill the minotaur. You can sneak or blink past, grab the loot, and run.
- Don't hesitate to use up resources on this fight. Minotaurs have been the death of many a promising character, and it's a lot easier to replace that potion of might than it is to start over.