|| The Depths are the deepest part of the dungeon proper, subject to the corrupting influence of the Realm of Zot without being considered a part of it.
The Depths are a four-floor branch accessed through a guarded portal on Dungeon:15. Its layout generally resembles that of the Dungeon, although it has a greater tendency toward open spaces and elaborate full floor vaults. Along with several entrances to the Abyss, the Vestibule of Hell, and Pandemonium and an entrance to a Ziggurat, you can find the entrance to the Realm of Zot on Depths:4, guarded by a variety of draconian guards.
- A portal to the Abyss always spawns on Depths:3. Other Depths floors have a 33% chance to have a portal.
- An entrance to the Vestibule of Hell appears on every Depths floor.
- One ziggurat portal spawns on a random Depths floor.
- A portal to the Pandemonium always spawns on Depths:2. Other Depths floors have a 25% chance to have a portal.
Generally, it isn't advised for you to enter the Depths right after you complete D:15. There are easier areas available (Lair and its rune branches, Orcish Mines, and The Vaults)
These are some of the monsters you can expect to encounter in the Depths:
Draconians can also be found guarding the Realm of Zot.
- Prior to 0.28, the Depths were 5 floors deep.
- The Depths were added in 0.14, replacing floors 16-27 of the Dungeon.