| The elder of a pair of brothers who came for the Orb. No one knows what Sigmund saw in the dungeon to drive him mad, but his shrewd magical tactics and wicked scythe now leave little time for his victims to wonder. Despite his reputation as a vicious murderer, his grandiose and dramatic ways have earned him the admiration of many denizens of the dungeon.
“But Sigmund turned him about, and he said: ‘What aileth thee, son?
Sigmund the Dreaded is a deadly unique human, and one of the earliest uniques you can encounter. He is always generated with a powerful scythe, a robe, and several brutal spells. Sigmund is notorious for being one of the deadliest uniques in all of DCSS.
- The Dungeon:2-6
Tips & Tricks
- Sigmund's damage output in melee is devastating for low-level characters, but his biggest threats are in his spell list. An invisible Sigmund is almost unbeatable in early-game melee, his Throw Flame lets him brutalize you at range, and expect a swift end if he confuses you and you're out of potions of curing.
- Avoiding Sigmund is usually the wisest thing you can do. If you find him sleeping early on, just walk away and return once you've gained a few levels and found some better gear.
- There are some options for low-level characters who want to take him out immediately. Mephitic Cloud leaves him unable to use magic and almost hopeless in melee, while a few zaps from a good wand will annihilate him.
- If all else fails and you have no choice but to engage him early, don't be afraid to use any useful potions you've identified. Berserk, haste, or might go a long way toward helping you take him down, and a few potions of heal wounds can keep you in the fight longer than you'd otherwise last.
- Donald may say to the player "That guy with the scythe is really mean", which is a reference to Sigmund.