|Size to wear||Any|
|Time to Wear||5|
| A large, loose-fitting, wide-sleeved outer garment made of light cloth. It offers little protection against physical harm, but does not hinder evasion or spellcasting.
"CLEOPATRA: Give me my robe; put on my crown; I have
-William Shakespeare, _Anthony & Cleopatra_, V, ii, ca. 1605.
A robe is the lightest body armour in the game, providing 2 base AC with no encumbrance rating. Many classes start the game with one, including most spellcasters. Moreover, robes, animal skins, and dragon scales are the only types of body armour that spriggans, ogres, and trolls can wear.
Robes can carry many different egos, including rare and valuable ones such as archmagi and resistance. There are also artefact robes, including unrandarts ranging from the sublime to the notorious.
A robe is passible for any character whose primary means of defense is going to be their EV. But for many such characters, superior alternatives exist. Steam dragon scales are just as light, but provides better armour. Leather armour, troll leather armour, and other light dragon scales all provide greater AC for a relatively small penalty. However, there are a number of reasons a robe may be better:
- Robes appear much earlier than most alternatives. Many backgrounds start with them.
- Species that can't fit into standard kinds of armour will likely be stuck with a robe for a while.
- Kobolds and spriggans, being small, suffer greater EV and spellcasting penalties from armour and may prefer a robe.
- Robes can spawn with good egos:
- A robe of the Archmagi is an excellent item for characters that rely heavily on spell power.
- A robe of resistance is a very convenient way to gain resistances, particularly for slot-restricted races who otherwise have trouble getting them.
|Robe of Augmentation|
|Robe of Clouds|
|Robe of Night|
|Robe of Folly|
|Robe of Misfortune|
|Robe of Vines|
|Body Armour|| Leather armour • Ring mail • Scale mail • Chain mail • Plate armour • Crystal plate armour
Robe • Animal skin • Troll leather armour • Steam dragon scales • Acid dragon scales •
|Miscellaneous||Hat • Helmet • Cloak • Scarf • Gloves • Boots • Barding|
|Shields||Buckler • Kite shield • Tower shield • Orb|