This article is about the monster. For a list of monsters capable of torment, see the main page on torment.
| A malign devil covered in all manner of claws, spines, and cruel hooks. It is able to inflict torturous agony on those foolish enough to gaze upon it.
“Thou art to me a delicious torment.”
Tormentors are terrible tier-2 demons which inflict torment, tearing up characters without immunity or heavy resistance. They can be found in the Abyss, Pandemonium, the Hells, and some monsters may summon them with Summon Greater Demon.
Tips & Tricks
- Tormentors are fast monsters which can halve your HP every turn. Not a big threat by themselves, but when near other monsters, make sure to finish them quickly.
- Tormentors can't see invisible. While being invisible won't stop them from ever casting Symbol of Torment, it greatly reduces the frequency. Note that if the tormentor can see an ally that's vulnerable to torment, the fact that you are invisible doesn't do anything.
- They have moderate willpower, so status wands can work well. A scroll of fear can scare them off with some reliability.
- If summoned by a torment vulnerable monster (e.g. deep elf demonologists), they'll be much more hesitant to use Symbol of Torment.
- As always, life protection (rN+) helps take the sting out of Torment significantly (5% reduction per rank). See the torment page for other means of reducing torment damage.
They used to be tier-3 demons. Prior to 0.6, they only possessed Symbol of Torment in their emergency slot, meaning they would virtually never use it, Zin's Sanctuary ability being one of the few ways to make them do so.