Wand of polymorph other
|A magical device which causes a creature to be transmogrified into another monster. It doesn't work on you, so don't even try.|
A wand of polymorph other will attempt to transform the creature it hits into another form. Unless resisted, the creature will evaporate and reform as another random creature. The new form will be of similar (but on average slightly higher) HD to the old one, and be of the same holiness. Polymorph has no effect on undead, but demons can be affected (turning into other demons).
Normal casters will lose their spells when polymorphed, and polymorph will never turn a monster into an "actual" spellcaster: you can get monsters with innate magical abilities such as dragons, but not casters such as orc wizards. Note that most demons' spells are considered innate abilities. Uniques will retain their name, and they will also retain their spells as long as they are polymorphed into a form that can speak.
It is very dangerous when used by monsters against the player since it causes one random bad mutation to be inflicted. This can only be resisted by mutation resistance; magic resistance has no effect.
Use with caution. While this wand can turn dangerous monsters into creatures that are easier to deal with, it will backfire with some by turning them into even worse monsters. Some examples of good and bad targets are:
- Oklob plants: You're likely to get a wandering mushroom, which is generally much easier to deal with.
- Yellow wasps and red wasps: For how dangerous they are, both of these monsters have fairly low HD and MR.
- Harpies: Another low-HD, low-MR annoyance, although considerably less dangerous than wasps.
- Orc wizards and orc priests: Usually you'll have better ways to deal with these guys, but polymorph will tend to make them into something less dangerous.
- Anacondas: They have moderately high HD, but low MR, and whatever they polymorph into is at least likely to be something you can more easily escape from.
- Unseen horrors: If you can get them in a corridor to line up the shot, this is a good way to make them visible. Despite their name and glyph, they are natural monsters, and have only modest HD, making polymorph pretty safe.
- Moths of wrath: They have very low MR for a Zot monster, and can be quite dangerous when they start berserking Orb Guardians right next to you. Polymorph is a good option for characters needing an instant way to take one out at range.
- Hydras: High HD, meaning that it's not at all unlikely you could get a dragon. Most characters can run away from hydras, and should if they lack a means to kill them.
- Death yaks: Also high HD, and have high magic resistance as well.
- Ghost moths: High enough MR that it's better to just kill them.
- Grinder: You're fairly unlikely to make him lose his spells, and tormentors and hellions are probable results of polymorphing him. Even hellephants are possible.
- Elephant slugs (including Gastronok). They have HD 20. This means you can produce titans. You don't want to produce titans.