For a list of all plants, see list of plants.
| A very dangerous plant which fends off predators by spraying corrosive vitriol at them. Even experienced adventurers give oklob plants a wide berth.
“Carbonic acid is one of the three materials which together form the starting point of vegetable growth; the others being water and nitric acid. This acid is formed of carbon and oxygen in the proportion of one part of the former to two of the latter chemically combined. It is a colorless gas, having an acid taste and smell; is soluble in water; weighs one-half more than air and can be poured from one vessel to another, as a liquid may be; 100 parts of water dissolve 106 parts of this gas, and it is from this source that the roots of plants derive the needed supplies of it.”
Oklob plants are vicious plants that spit acid at you from a distance. Not only will this take a large chunk out of your health, but it can also corrode you. Fortunately, oklob plants do not move and cannot pursue you if you flee.
In addition to turning all existing oklob plants neutral, worshipers of Fedhas Madash may use its Evolution ability to turn any plant or bush into an allied oklob plant that will spit acid more often with increasing Invocations. This ability costs two rations to use (and perhaps more in order to create the evolvable plants in the first place), but can be extremely effective in building a defensible area, as almost nothing likes getting pelted repeatedly with acid.
Tips & Tricks
- Crawl automatically travel-excludes tiles in an oklob plant's range of fire, so it's hard to get hurt by them unless you're actively taking them on.
- Hostile oklob plants cannot fire through other plants besides bushes. This is fortunate, as they tend to spawn near regular plants and fungi that block their line of fire. The exclusion zone won't take this into account, however, and it can be tricky to figure out exactly which spaces are out of their line of fire if you're approaching them from an angle.
- Oklobs created by Fedhas worshipers may fire through allied plants, but they will never be hostile towards you so long as you continue to follow Fedhas.
- If you absolutely need to destroy an oklob plant, it's best done slowly and carefully; oklob plants can't go anywhere, so there's no reason you can't take your time about it. You'll probably want to clear as much of the rest of the floor as possible before dealing with the oklob since being interrupted by something dangerous when you're already hurt and corroded is a good way to get yourself killed.
- Smite-targeted spells from behind a nearby plant let you take down an oklob in complete safety. Airstrike, Freezing Cloud, Fulminant Prism, Borgnjor's Vile Clutch, Portal Projectile... all of those are great examples.
- Fireball, a wand of iceblast, or a bouncing Lightning Bolt can kill oklob plants from around a corner (though they make considerable amounts of noise).
- Alternatively, piercing attacks like bolt spells or weapons of penetration (if you have access to them) can cut through plants and still damage the oklob. Of course, you'll eventually destroy your only source of cover...
- Summoned creatures can waylay an oklob plant while you hang back. Command them to attack it using the 't' key, though you must keep the plant in your line of sight (preferably from behind a plant or summoned meatshield).
- A jelly you've charmed with a wand of enslavement can annihilate them without a scratch, being immune to acid. Other monsters can be used in much the same way, though they'll probably be melted by the plant in return.
- If you've got some skill with a ranged weapon and a decent supply of ammunition, you can just stand at the very edge of an oklob's line of sight and keep attacking, retreating whenever you get too badly injured or corroded. This goes better if you have a source of healing like troll leather armour or an amulet of regeneration; that way, the oklob won't have as much time to heal before you're ready for your next volley. Retreat when you're below about 30-ish HP and you'll probably survive.
- Use invisibility to avoid attracting their attention or to allow you sneak up on them. This significantly reduces their ability to hit you with acid, but they do still occasionally get lucky.
- Oklob plants are somewhat susceptible to disabling Hexes and can be confused or the like rather easily, letting you move past safely or even just walk over and tear them apart. Be wary of trying this on more than one or two at a time, though; standing between four oklob plants when the confusion wears off tends to end badly.
- Polymorphing an oklob plant is a dangerous gamble. While it can result in a relatively harmless wandering mushroom, if you are unlucky you might get a thorn hunter or shambling mangrove.
- If you're not prepared to deal with them, just keep your distance. Oklob plants are a good time to remember that Crawl doesn't require you to kill everything that crosses your path. With all the different ways to travel between levels and gather runes, it's rare for an oklob plant to be obstructing something that is absolutely vital.