For a list of all plants, see list of plants.
| A very dangerous plant which fends off predators by spraying corrosive vitriol at them. Even experienced adventurers give oklob plants a wide berth.
“Carbonic acid is one of the three materials which together form the starting point of vegetable growth; the others being water and nitric acid. This acid is formed of carbon and oxygen in the proportion of one part of the former to two of the latter chemically combined. It is a colorless gas, having an acid taste and smell; is soluble in water; weighs one-half more than air and can be poured from one vessel to another, as a liquid may be; 100 parts of water dissolve 106 parts of this gas, and it is from this source that the roots of plants derive the needed supplies of it.”
Oklob plants are vicious plants that spit acid at you from a distance. Not only will this take a large chunk out of your health, but it can also corrode you. Fortunately, oklob plants do not move and cannot pursue you if you flee.
In addition to turning all existing oklob plants neutral, worshipers of Fedhas Madash may use Grow Oklob ability to summon an allied oklob plant that will spit acid more often and will be summoned for longer with increasing Invocations. Another Fedhas' ability, Overgrow, sometimes produces oklobs or oklob saplings when turning dungeon walls into allied plants.
Tips & Tricks
- Crawl automatically travel-excludes tiles in an oklob plant's range of fire, so it's hard to get hurt by them unless you're actively taking them on.
- Hostile oklob plants cannot fire through other plants, besides bushes. This is fortunate, as they tend to spawn near regular plants and fungi that block their line of fire. The exclusion zone won't take this into account, however, and it can be tricky to figure out exactly which spaces are out of their line of fire if you're approaching them from an angle.
- If you absolutely need to destroy an oklob plant, it's best done slowly and carefully; oklob plants can't go anywhere, so there's no reason you can't take your time about it. You'll probably want to clear as much of the rest of the floor as possible before dealing with the oklob since being interrupted by something dangerous when you're already hurt and corroded is a good way to get yourself killed.
- Ranged attackers should stand at the very edge of an oklob's line of sight and keep attacking, retreating whenever you get too badly injured or corroded. This goes better if you have a source of regeneration (such as from the amulet), as the oklob will remain damaged.
- Summoned creatures can waylay an oklob plant while you hang back. Command them to attack it using the 't' key, though you must keep the plant in your line of sight (preferably from behind a plant or summoned meatshield).
- Use invisibility to avoid attracting their attention or to allow you sneak up on them. This significantly reduces their ability to hit you with acid, but they do still occasionally get lucky.
- Oklobs don't have much willpower, so users of Hexes or Evocations can easily disable a plant. A wand of polymorph might create a thorn hunter, so its best to stray away from them.
- If you're not prepared to deal with them, just keep your distance. Oklob plants are a good time to remember that Crawl doesn't require you to kill everything that crosses your path. With all the different ways to travel between levels and gather runes, it's rare for an oklob plant to be obstructing something that is absolutely vital.
- Prior to 0.28, all acidic damage could deal an extra acidic splash (4d5 on players), so Spit Acid's base damage was lower.