| A very dangerous plant which fends off predators by spraying corrosive vitriol at them. Even experienced adventurers give oklob plants a wide berth.
“Carbonic acid is one of the three materials which together form the starting point of vegetable growth; the others being water and nitric acid. This acid is formed of carbon and oxygen in the proportion of one part of the former to two of the latter chemically combined. It is a colorless gas, having an acid taste and smell; is soluble in water; weighs one-half more than air and can be poured from one vessel to another, as a liquid may be; 100 parts of water dissolve 106 parts of this gas, and it is from this source that the roots of plants derive the needed supplies of it.”
Oklob plants are vicious, carnivorous plants that spit acid at you from a distance. Not only will this take a large chunk out of your health, but it will also corrode you. Fortunately, they do not move. Oklob plants can appear throughout the Dungeon and most of the game's early branches.
Tips & Tricks
- Crawl automatically travel-excludes tiles in an oklob plant's range of fire, so it's hard to get hurt by them unless you're actively taking them on.
- Fortunately, oklob plants tend to spawn around other plants, which block their line of fire. The exclusion zone will not take this into account, and oklobs you summon via Fedhas Madash can fire through allied plants, but hostile oklob plants cannot fire through other plants except bushes.
- A charmed jelly will annihilate them without a scratch, being immune to acid. Non-spellcasters can accomplish this with a wand of enslavement.
- Freezing Cloud also works beautifully; cast it on the oklob plant and then leave its line of fire.
- Fireball or a bouncing Lightning Bolt can also kill oklob plants from around a corner (though both spells make considerable amounts of noise).
- Summoned creatures can waylay it while you hang back. Command them to attack it using the 't' key, though you must keep the plant in your line of sight (preferably from behind a plant or summoned meatshield).
- Use invisibility to avoid attracting their attention. This significantly reduces their ability to hit you with acid, but they do still occasionally get lucky.
- Polymorphing an oklob plant is a dangerous gamble. While it can result in a relatively harmless wandering mushroom, if you are out of luck you will instead get a thorn hunter, shambling mangrove or even death cob.
- If you're not prepared to deal with them, just keep your distance. Oklob plants are a good time to remember that Crawl doesn't require you to kill everything that crosses your path. With all the different ways to travel between levels and gather runes, it's rare for an oklob plant to be obstructing something that is absolutely vital.
- They can be confused rather easily, however, make sure you're not trying this when dealing with a lot of specimen at once. Standing between four of them when they lose confusion is nothing to laugh at.