For a list of all arthropods, see list of arthropods.
| A vile interdimensional predator that feeds on the life force of living beings. It resembles an enormous, spiny moth.
“Always in focus
Ghost moths are speedy, invisible monsters with an MP-draining gaze and stat-draining melee attacks. If you can't see invisible, you'll "feel you are being watched by something" whenever a ghost moth is around. They can be found in the Spider's Nest (particularly in Spider:4), rarely in the Realm of Zot, and in a special "eye of draining" Pandemonium rune vault.
A ghost moth's gaze causes you to lose 0-19 MP, weighted towards the average. Since moths cast Draining Gaze on 50% of their actions, and as the gaze takes up no time, they can rapidly drain your MP.
Tips & Tricks
- The loss of MP is very fast. Even if you're not a spellcaster, be wary that some god abilities require MP to invoke.
- Ghost moths are a good reason to keep a source of see invisible around. When fighting an invisible enemy you can't see - even if you detect their location - you get harsh penalties to accuracy, EV, and SH. If you receive the message "You feel you are being watched by something," swap to a source of see invisible immediately. Keep in mind they fly faster than most characters run, so escaping without items is not an option.
- Ghost moths themselves cannot see invisible. If you are invisible, ghost moths can't drain your MP.
- If you're a caster, the following can work (depending on the character):
- Damage-over-time effects. Freezing Cloud, despite their cold resistance, can kill if the moth spends enough time in the cloud. Sticky Flame is usually too weak to kill in 1 cast, but it does negate their invisibility.
- Summon Cactus Giant. While cactus giants lack SInv, the spines can do a lot. If the giant is in the moth's way, the moth will attack the giant, causing the moth to take heavy damage (possibly killing it). If needed, tell the giant to retreat towards a desired direction.
- For Kiku worshippers, Death Channel's spectres can see invisible. You can use Unearth Wretches multiple times for each ghost moth; it's a cheap 1* ability, so don't worry about piety too much.
- Failing that, evocables are good MP-less ways of dealing damage. Even at 0 Evocations, using 4 charges of a lightning rod will take a huge chunk of the moth's HP. With good Evocations training, a condenser vane, tin of tremorstones, or attack wands can kill / finish off a moth.
- Ghost moths make for great Yredelemnul souls. When Draining Gaze hits a monster, it inflicts antimagic, which is brutally effective against spellcasters.
- Prior to 0.31, ghost moths would heal themselves when draining MP.
- Prior 0.28, ghost moths' melee attacks could inflict strong poison, making stat drain less likely.
- Prior to 0.16, ghost moths could drain for 5-17 MP.
- mon-spell.h:44 (0.30.1)
Monsters cast spells, if valid, at a X/200 chance.