Version 0.28: This article may not be up to date for the latest stable release of Crawl.
|Attack1|| 25 (hit: fire)
|Uses|| Weapons & armour|
|A huge and very powerful demon, wreathed in fire and shadows.|
Balrugs are brutish tier-2 demons, often armed with branded demon whips and capable of casting powerful Fire Magic. Even when unarmed, they still deal significant fire damage (14-27 HP) per hit.
|Spell set I|
|Slot1||Bolt of Fire (3d23)||Magical flag|
|Slot2||Fireball (3d23)||Magical flag|
|Slot3||Sticky Flame Range (3d6)||Magical flag|
|Slot4||Smiting (7-17)||Magical flag|
Tips & Tricks
- The more fire resistance you have when facing them, the better.
- Balrugs are vulnerable to cold. Any decent Ice Elementalist or Conjurer shouldn't have much difficulty with them. Other characters can take advantage of their vulnerability with freezing-branded weapons or by zapping them with a wand of iceblast.
- Don't let their size fool you; balrugs are still faster than most characters.
- Maces & Flails specialists will probably want to take a look at their weaponry, as demon whips are among the best weapons in the game.
Balrugs are almost identical to the balrog, a fiery whip-wielding demon from J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings novels.
- Prior to 0.28, balrugs were vulnerable to water.
- Prior to 0.10, they were tier-1 demons.
- Balrugs knew Teleport Self between 0.6 and 0.10.
- 0.28 articles
- Hit type
- Fire flavour
- Fire resistance
- Fire resistance 3
- Poison resistance
- Miasma resistance
- Negative energy resistance
- Negative energy 3
- Torment resistance
- Cold vulnerability
- Holy vulnerability
- Human intelligence
- Weapons armour
- Starting equipment
- Open doors
- Demonic holiness
- Large monsters
- See invisible