Obsidian axe

From CrawlWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Version 0.28: This article is up to date for the latest stable release of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
An axe with a powerful curse placed on it by one of the lords of Pandemonium, so that unsuspecting adventurers would unleash demons into this world. Beware, for it has ways of taking its wielder under its command...

Obsidian axe.png the +14 obsidian axe

+14 broad axe

Vorpal brand
Drains the user on unequip
Allow flight
See Invisible
Evil
Mesmerizes[1] user if any hostile monster present. While mesmerized, you can not unequip the Obisdian axe.
10% chance of summoning a friendly common demon[2] (36% chance of Tier-4; 64%, Tier-3) per attack. These have a small (~4%) chance to be generated hostile.

Desirability

Using the obsidian axe[3] can be more than a little irritating, but its excellent stats may make up for it. If you are wielding this broad axe and a monster is visible, you will be mesmerized and restricted from moving any farther away from the monster: "Visions of slaying the [monster] flood into your mind." If there are multiple monsters, you will fixate on the closest one. When mesmerized by the axe, you lose any current confusion (suggesting a possible emergency use, if you lack potions of curing)[4]. Certain weapon-melding transformations, e.g., Blade Hands, allow dispelling all forms of mesmerization, even if sirens or merfolk avatars are involved.

The mesmerization property of this weapon can potentially be very dangerous. For instance, it can forces you to run headlong into a group of strong melee monsters instead of retreating into a corridor to fight them. For this reason, if you are going to use this weapon, you should always keep some escape option open and ready to use: a surplus of scrolls of teleportation and the Blink spell (the scroll is ineffective) are highly advisable. Be aware that in the more dangerous areas of the dungeon, this may cause you rapidly burn through scrolls. Many players may simply choose to go for a good two-handed axe anyway, which will provide similar damage output with none of the downsides of this weapon.

The obsidian axe has a chance of summoning demons on any successful hit; this includes hits on harmless creatures like plants or bushes. A maximum of 3 demons summoned by the axe may be present at once.

History

  • Prior to 0.27, the obsidian axe would curse itself on equip, but did not drain, and could be unwielded when mesmerized (ending the mesmerization, regardless of source).
  • Prior to 0.19, it had a +3 Strength bonus.
  • Prior to 0.15, this was a +12, +15 weapon.
  • The obsidian axe was added in 0.8.

References