Transformations are effects that completely alter the form of a creature's body. While many of them are caused by Transmutations spells, a few of them have other sources. They share a few common properties:
- Undead creatures cannot be transformed. For players, this means that Ghouls and Mummies can never be transformed, while Vampires can only be transformed when at Full or higher satiation.
- Transformations are always temporary, although sometimes their duration can be extended. Whether or not they can be cancelled at will depends on the transformation itself and/or its source. Even those that can be cancelled may take a few turns to actually do so.
- Most transformations will meld at least some equipment. Melded equipment ceases to have any effect (except ponderousness from armour), positive or negative, but it is not unequipped: thus, transformations are not (usually) blocked by cursed items, but cannot get rid of them either.
- Transformations frequently alter a character's unarmed damage, sometimes even imparting a brand to said attacks.
- Transformations may alter a number of other properties, including HP, movement speed, size (and therefore EV), AC, and mutations, among others.
Table of Transformations
|List of Transformations|
|Transformation||Source(s)||Equipment melded||Unarmed base damage||Movement delay||HP||AC||Size||Casting||Other|
|Wisp Form||Wand||All armour and weapon||3||1.0||Normal||5 + XL/2||Tiny||No||rF++ rC++ rPois+++ rElec rN+++, acid immunity, torment immunity, Insubstantial, No food clock, occasionally moves as if confused, randomly blinks, flying, stealthy|
|Bat Form||Wand / vampire ability||All except amulet||1||0.6||Normal||0||Tiny||No||Lower attack delay|
|Pig Form||Wand / Porkalator||All except amulet||3||0.7||Normal||0||Small||No||Unstealthy|
|Beastly Appendage||Spell||Helmet or boots||3||1.0||Normal||N/A||N/A||Yes||Gain either talons 3 or horns 2|
|Spider Form||Spell||All armour and weapon||3 (venom)||1.0||Normal||2||Tiny||Yes, but Wiz-||rPois-, +5 Dex, clings to walls|
|Ice Form||Spell||All armour and weapon||12 (freeze)||1.0||+20%||5 + 7*power/100||Large||Yes||rF- rC+++ rPois, amphibious|
|Blade Hands||Spell||Gloves||22||1.0||Normal||N/A||N/A||Yes, but Wiz-||Can cut hydra heads|
|Tree Form||Wand / Potion of lignification||All armour and weapon||12||Can't move||+50%||20 + XL/2||Normal||Yes||rPois rN+++, torment immunity, 48% GDR, -Tele, no hunger clock, EV set to almost zero, very stealthy|
|Fungus Form||Wand||All armour and weapon||12 (confuse)||1.0||Normal||+12||Tiny||No||rPois rN+++ rTorm, No hunger clock, can't move while there are hostile monsters in line of sight, very stealthy|
|Shadow Form||Dithmenos' 5* ability||None||3 (but all melee damage is halved)||1.0||+30%||6 + power/20||Same as species||Yes, but Power--||rPois+++ rN+++, torment immunity, very stealthy, two spell power anti-enhancers, melee damage dealt is halved, all damage taken is halved, bleed smoke when taking damage, skills drained when taking damage, magic immune.|
|Hydra Form||Spell||All armour and weapon||3 per head for first 10 heads, 3/2 per head thereafter||1.0||+30%||6 + power/20||Same as species||Yes||Can devour enemies to gain sustenance.|
|Statue Form||Spell||Gloves and boots||12||1.5 (all actions are slowed)||+30%||20 + 12*power/100||Same as species||Yes||rPois+++ rN+ rElec, torment resistance (50%), 40% GDR, all actions slowed.|
|Dragon Form||Spell||All armour and weapon||36 (trample)||1.0||+50%||16||Giant||Yes||rPois rF++ rC-, 34% GDR, flies, special for draconians, +10 Str|
|Lich Form||Spell||None||3 (drain)||Normal||1.0||+6||Same as species||Yes||rPois+++ rC+ rN+++ MR+, +3 Str, Undead, holy vulnerability, torment immunity, Necromancy spell enhancer, can't quaff potions, no hunger clock|