Transformations are effects that completely alter the form of a creature's body. While many of them are caused by Transmutations spells, a few of them have other sources. They share a few common properties:
- Undead creatures cannot be transformed. For players, this means that Ghouls and Mummies can never be transformed, while Vampires can only be transformed when at Full or higher satiation.
- Transformations are always temporary, although sometimes their duration can be extended. Whether or not they can be cancelled at will depends on the transformation itself and/or its source. Even those that can be cancelled may take a few turns to actually do so.
- Most transformations will meld at least some equipment. Melded equipment ceases to have any effect (except ponderousness from armour), positive or negative, but it is not unequipped: thus, transformations are not (usually) blocked by cursed items, but cannot get rid of them either.
- Transformations frequently alter a character's unarmed damage, sometimes even imparting a brand to said attacks.
- Transformations may alter a number of other properties, including HP, movement speed, size (and therefore EV), AC, and mutations, among others.
Table of Transformations
For brevity, the following abbreviations are used in this table, and some clarifications are given:
- Sources: W = Wand of polymorph other, S = Player-castable spell, V = Vampire ability, C = Cards, K = Porkalator, P = Penance (from Jiyva, etc.)
- Allows: A = Body armour, H = Helmet, C = Cloak, S = Shield, B = Boots, G = Gloves, W = Weapon, R = Rings, M = Amulets. All other equipment is melded.
- Unarmed: Gives the Unarmed Combat base damage. Unless otherwise stated, your Unarmed skill is added to this damage.
- Size: Note that this substantially affects EV, with smaller size being better.
|List of Transformations|
|Transformation||Sources||Allows||Unarmed Base||Movement Speed||HP modifier||AC||Size||Item Use||Casting||Other|
|Wisp Form||W||None||5||10||1.0||+5+0.5×XL||Tiny||None||Disallowed||rF++ rC++ rPois rElec rN+++ rTorm rAcid+++, Conservation, Insubstantial, foodless, occasionally moves as if confused, randomly blinks, flies, stealthy|
|Bat Form||WVCP||M||1, UC/5||16||1.0||0||Tiny||Can't quaff potions or evoke wands||Disallowed||Lower attack delay|
|Porcupine Form||W||None||0, UC/5||12.5||1.0||0||Tiny||Can't evoke wands||Disallowed||-3 Str, Spiny, unstealthy, can't be constricted, unbleeding|
|Pig Form||WK||M||0, UC/5||14.3||1.0||0||Small||Can't evoke wands||Disallowed||Unstealthy|
|Spider Form||SCWP||RM||5 + venom||12.5||1.0||+2||Tiny||Can't evoke wands||-10% to success||rPois-, +5 Dex, clings|
|Ice Form||SCW||RMC||12 + freezing||10||1.2||+5-12||Medium||Can't evoke wands||Normal||rF- rC+++ rPois, amphibious|
|Tree Form||W||HSW||12||0||1.5||+20+0.5×XL||Huge||Can't quaff potions||Normal||rPois rN+++ rTorm, +10 Str, 48% GDR, -TELE, foodless, Immobile but can otherwise act, actions slowed, EV set to almost zero, very stealthy|
|Fungus Form||W||RMH||12 + Confusing Touch||10||1.0||+12||Tiny||Can't quaff potions or evoke wands||Disallowed||rPois rN+++ rTorm, foodless, can't move while there are hostile monsters in LoS, very stealthy|
|Statue Form||SCWP||RMCWSH||3 + Str/3||10 (6.67)||1.3||+17 + Earth/2||Huge||Normal||Normal||rPois rN+ rElec, 50% torment, 40% GDR, +2 Str, -2 Dex, all actions slowed.|
|Dragon Form||SCW||RM||18 + 2/3*Str + trample||10||1.5||+16||Gigantic||Normal||Normal||rPois rF++ rC-, 34% GDR, flies, special for draconians|
|Lich Form||SC||All||5 + Draining||10||1.0||+6||Medium||Can't quaff potions||Normal||rPois rC+ rN+++ rTorm +50 MR, +3 Str, Undead, holy vulnerability, foodless, Necromancy enhancer|