|A disembodied toe, hanging in the air and radiating an intense field of negative energy.|
One of Crawl's sillier monsters, curse toes are hovering severed toes with extremely dangerous abilities. They can torment you, which is always dangerous. They can also summon wandering mushrooms and deathcaps to confuse you, cast Drain Life, trap you, and finish you off. Fortunately, while they cast spells at normal speed, their actual movement speed is very slow, making it easy to flee them. Just be aware that they create clouds of miasma wherever they go. Killing them can be difficult, as they have respectable HP, a full set of resistances, and significant AC. They can be encountered in the Realm of Zot, certain unpleasant Crypt and Tartarus vaults, plus Tartarus-themed Ziggurat floors.
Tips & Tricks
- A weapon of holy wrath or Dispel Undead makes fighting them a little easier. You can limit the impact of their torments and their summons' drain life with rN or Statue Form, and negate them entirely by being undead or in lichform.
- A potion of lignification will make you immune to torment. Just beware of anything else that could be lurking near.
- Most elemental damage is all but useless against their resistances. Ice Magic is only partially resisted, however, so area-of-effect cold damage spells such as Freezing Cloud and Ozocubu's Refrigeration will at least be somewhat effective.
- If at all possible, try not to get into melee with their mushroom allies. Confusion is the last thing you want while surrounded by enemies and getting repeatedly tormented.
- A silenced Curse Toe still can cast its spells.