|| A disembodied toe, hanging in the air and radiating an intense field of negative energy.
One of Crawl's sillier monsters, curse toes are hovering severed toes with extremely dangerous abilities. They can torment you, as well as summon wandering mushrooms and deathcaps to confuse you, cast Drain Life, and finish you off. Fortunately, while they cast spells at normal speed, their actual movement speed is very slow, making it easy to flee them. Just be aware that they create clouds of miasma wherever they go. Killing them can be difficult, as they have respectable HP, a full set of resistances, and significant AC. They can be encountered in the Realm of Zot, certain unpleasant Crypt and Tartarus vaults, plus Tartarus-themed Ziggurat floors.
Tips & Tricks
- A weapon of holy wrath or Dispel Undead makes fighting them a little easier. Silence, however, has no effect. You can limit the impact of their torments and their summons' drain life with rN or Statue Form, and negate them entirely by being undead or in lichform.
- Their EV score is 1. If you've got Bolt of Inaccuracy, you can use that to great effect, cutting through their allies with ease.
- Most elemental damage is all but useless against their resistances. Ice Magic is only partially resisted, however, so area-of-effect cold damage spells such as Freezing Cloud, Bolt of Cold, and Glaciate will at least be somewhat effective.
- If at all possible, try not to get into melee with their mushroom allies. Confusion is the last thing you want while surrounded by enemies and getting repeatedly tormented.
- Abjuration/Aura of Abjuration will clear out their summons with ease. You'll probably not want to waste too much time focusing on the summons, however, as the curse toe is much more dangerous than anything it can create.
- Prior to 0.13-a947c05e, curse toes could only summon wandering mushrooms with their Summon Mushroom spell, and knew Summon Undead as well.