|| A potion which temporarily transforms the imbiber into an animated tree with branches capable of holding weapons. Such a tree is quite resilient, although it is rooted in place while the transformation lasts, and cannot teleport.
|| Potion of lignification
Quaffing a potion of lignification transforms you into Tree Form for a little while. As a tree, you cannot move, blink, or teleport, and your EV is reduced to almost nothing. You can read scrolls, cast spells, wield weapons, and zap wands, however, and you are granted significant physical defense and plant resistances (rPois, rN+++, rTorment). Ghouls and vampires below full are unaffected, while followers of Zin incur a piety loss and penance if they knowingly drink this potion.
- The HP gain and associated boost to regeneration rate you receive upon quaffing could be the difference between life and death, if you are lethally poisoned with no access to curing. A potion of lignification can also greatly assist you if used at the start of a battle with highly venomous enemies.
- The power this potion can provide early game is considerable; the AC and GDR will make you nigh invulnerable to virtually any early game foe, the strength and to-hit bonus will give you considerable punch in melee, and the +50% HP and improved regeneration rate will increase the likelihood of survival, until it runs out. Being unable to move has many problems of its own though; foes that attack from range will have their way with you.
- The virtual immunity to negative energy granted by being in Tree Form can make battles with enemies that rely on draining or torment much simpler.
- Using this potion while in water will stabilize your footing and negate the attack penalties of standing in shallow water as a small or medium sized species. This can be a good way to boost your accuracy if you are fighting monsters in the water, while also potentially reducing their accuracy by 25% (depending on their size).
- Followers of Lugonu can still blink using the Bend Space ability while in Tree Form.
Prior to 0.15, you could not quaff potions, eat, or speak while in Tree Form.
Potions of lignification were added in 0.14, replacing potions of slowing.