Scroll of blinking
|A scroll that allows its reader to teleport a short distance, with precise control. Be wary that controlled teleports will cause the subject to become contaminated with magical energy.|
Reading a scroll of blinking causes you to blink to a square of your choosing within your line of sight with perfect accuracy, as though you'd cast Controlled Blink. It induces light magic contamination, though not enough to be harmful unless you are already contaminated from another source or use several in rapid succession.
The selected square must be visible, monster-free, not in lava or deep water (unless you are an amphibious species), and cannot be behind a translucent wall. The scroll is consumed when read, though it can be canceled if it was already identified.
These scrolls are one of the most reliable means of escape in the game, but they are fairly rare. Only consider using them after ruling out your other means of escape.
These scrolls are not infallible. The following things will interfere with their use:
- Being silenced, be it from casting the Silence spell, reading a scroll of silence, or caused by an enemy such as a silent spectre or Mennas.
- Being confused.
- Wearing/wielding any item with the -Tele intrinsic.
- Attempting to blink while constricted may fail, depending on whether or not you succeed on an escape attempt that turn.
- Being affected by Dimension Anchor, a rare monsters-only spell casted by Draconian shifters and The Enchantress. This will temporarily inflict the player with -Tele.
- Since 0.20, reading the scroll in Zot has the behavior of an uncontrolled blink.
- Prior to 0.11, reading a scroll of blinking caused no magic contamination and would always escape from constriction.
|Acquirement • Amnesia • Blinking • Brand weapon • Enchant armour • Enchant weapon • Fear • Fog • Holy word • Identify • Immolation • Magic mapping • Noise • Random uselessness • Remove curse • Silence • Summoning • Teleportation • Torment • Vulnerability|