Orb of Zot
|Once you have escaped to the surface with this invaluable artefact, your quest is complete.|
The Orb of Zot is located in a vault on the deepest floor of the Realm of Zot, guarded by terrible monsters (ancient liches, Orb Guardians, orbs of fire, all kinds of dragons and draconians) and surrounded by indestructible walls. Acquiring the Orb and escaping back to the surface is the final step to win the game. Doing so without fighting your way past its guardians is nearly impossible, as the floor slows down teleportation and renders Controlled Blink random, and the Orb actively resists Apportation attempts (1 out of every 3 attempts will fail, and each attempt will create a loud noise).
Once the Orb is in your possession, you will have to make it out of the dungeon to win the game. This is part of the game is often referred to as the orb run. During the orb run, numerous terrible things happen. Controlled Blink becomes random, and almost all teleports will take 5 to 9 turns longer to kick in (teleport traps still function immediately, however, and can almost always be found near the Orb). All floors of the Dungeon will now begin spawning a wide variety of Hell- and Pandemonium-type monsters, Orb Guardians, and Pandemonium lords, all at a greatly increased rate (see monster generation). Most of these will generate just beyond your line of sight. On top of all that, the Orb itself emits strange energy, reducing your stealth and causing magic contamination to last longer.
- You don't need to pick up the Orb of Zot as soon as you reach it. If you want a higher score, you should clear out the extended end-game and collect all 15 runes before beginning the ascent.
- The only enemies that matter once you have the Orb are the ones that get in your way. Ignore any enemies that aren't able to kill you or that you can simply run away from. For this reason, boots of running or other sources of fast movement speed are extremely useful at this point.
- Your goal after picking up the Orb is to get out of the Dungeon as quickly as possible. Use auto-travel (Shift + G) to make the game calculate the fastest route out possible.
- Don't be afraid to use up your consumable items at this point. Potions of haste, scrolls of holy word, and all manner of restoratives should be used as needed to clear a path to the exit as quickly as possible. Also, if you've got a wand of digging, feel free to create impromptu tunnels if it'll get you away from nasty opponents or up a floor even faster. If you're feeling paranoid (and why shouldn't you be?), consider creating those pathways before you grab the Orb.
- Even with the delay on teleportation, it's worth considering as an escape option. If you find yourself cornered by enemies or a long way away from the next stair case up, activate a teleport and hold out until it kicks in. Teleport traps still function instantly, by the way.
- The Abyss is unique in that its monster generation rate and makeup is unaffected once you pick up the Orb. If you're cornered and could use a chance to heal up in (relative) safety, zipping off to the Abyss will give you the time you need. Of course, unless you're a Lugonu follower, convenient access to the Abyss is rarely available...
- Find Dungeon Crawl too easy? For an added challenge, try avoiding the Tomb, Pandemonium, or the branches of Hell until you're already on your Orb run.
- Using Apportation on the Orb of Zot WILL start the Orb run. Previously it was advisable to apport the orb to the nearest stairs, but now using Apportation will begin the ascension. Plan accordingly.
In the Zot Defence mini-game, you are instead charged with guarding the Orb from wave after wave of random enemies. Only after you've fought off enough enemies to earn 15 runes are you allowed to grab the Orb and escape.
- Prior to 0.17, Controlled Blinks functioned normally while the Orb was in your possession.
- Prior to 0.14, grabbing the Orb sealed the portals to Abyss/Pan/Hell, and counted as an inventory item.
- In 0.13, the monsters you faced while ascending were made more deadly (fewer weak demons, plus the addition of Orb Guardians).
- Prior to 0.13, possession of the Orb caused a delay of 5-9 turns only 50% of the time.
- Prior to 0.12, the player could drop the Orb after it had been picked up. Also, the Apportation failure rate was only 1 in every 6 attempts.
- Prior to 0.10, the Orb did not have any penalties to stealth or magic contamination.
- Prior to 0.9, the orb didn't apply -cTele while it was in your possession, and instead removed -cTele from Zot:5. Also, the Orb's weight was only 30 aum.
- Prior to 0.8, the Orb wouldn't resist Apportation attempts.