|You have been sickened, and your health will no longer regenerate.|
Sickness is a status effect that prevents characters from naturally regenerating HP until it wears off. It does not affect Trog's Hand, Jiyva regeneration, or ambrosia. Other, non-regeneration sources of healing work normally.
- Undead (Ghoul, Mummy, bloodless Vampire, lichform) and nonliving (Gargoyle, Djinn, Statue Form, Storm Form, Wisp Form) creatures are immune to sickness.
- Miasma immunity confers immunity to sickness. This includes demonspawn with the Foul Stench mutation, and players in Shadow Form.
- Zin's Vitalisation provides temporary immunity (but does not cure existing sickness).
- Prior to 0.28, the status changed colour depending on remaining duration (red -> pink -> yellow).
- Prior to 0.27, sickness was cured by drinking a potion of curing instead of a potion of cancellation. Also, increased regeneration rates would cause it to wear off more quickly.
- Prior to 0.26, sickness healed slower if hungry.
- Prior to 0.19, sickness had a chance to cause a single point of temporary stat damage.
- Prior to 0.17, casting Haunt could inflict sickness.
- Prior to 0.15, Kobolds would recover from sickness more quickly than other species.
- Prior to 0.13, sickness was one of the many unique needle brands.
- Prior to 0.10, eating contaminated chunks would occasionally cause you to become sick. Saprovores were partially protected from this. In 0.13, nausea was introduced as an intermediate step between health and sickness. Eating food while nauseous would occasionally induce sickness, but had few downsides on its own.