For a list of all draconians, see list of draconians.
| The earthly avatar of Tiamat, deity of dragonkind, here incarnated as a mighty draconian warrior. Her scales seem to shimmer and change colour as you watch.
“He saith that Tiamat our mother hath conceived a hatred for us,
Tiamat is a unique draconian who sometimes appears in the Realm of Zot. One of the strongest uniques before extended, she is a draconian who constantly changes color, giving her access to any of the draconian breath weapons (and the matching resistance). She always wears the dragonskin cloak, and comes with a very large retinue of draconians.
- The Realm of Zot
Be prepared for a long, dangerous, and difficult fight if you chose to take on Tiamat. With high HP and extreme HD, it's difficult to kill her quickly. She changes colour often, allowing for a variety of breath attacks (see the Draconian page for each kind). Her melee is no slouch, either.
If you do decide to take on Tiamat, make sure to clear her entourage first.
- Melee/ranged fighters should have great defenses (AC, EV, SH). Most characters will want to buff up; Might and Haste are easy. Berserk is dangerous; since she has such good defenses, it's likely that berserk will run out before she dies.
- Magic users often have a tough time killing her before running out of MP. A potion of brilliance can alleviate that issue, but Tiamat is still a tough foe. She can gain elemental resistances (from colour and cloak), which can make it difficult if you rely on an elemental spell. However, these resistances aren't regular, so you can wait them out.
If nothing else, remember that you don't have to kill everything in Crawl. Tiamat is a 10-speed enemy, so under normal circumstances, you can run away. If you do decide to fight, be prepared to run if things go badly. Her breath weapons can do a lot of damage, and teleports are delayed in Zot.
An easy (and often deadly) mistake is to simply not notice her until it's too late. She's very recognizable in Tiles mode, but console players can make the mistake. Tiamat's habit of constantly changing colors means that she isn't a unique color, and thus does not visually stand out from the draconian band that invariably surrounds her.
Tips & Tricks
- Pay attention to what's near Tiamat. Draconian shifters can teleport her (and 7 other draconians) directly adjacent to you. A moth of wrath can berserk Tiamat, which you really don't want.
- Like other draconians, Tiamat is cold-blooded. She can get rC+ from colour or the dragonskin cloak. Otherwise, she is slowed by cold attacks.
- Tiamat only has moderate EV, so spells such as Lehudib's Crystal Spear or Iron Shot are effective. But her high health means that most casters will need some method of restoring MP to last long enough to kill her.
- Don't forget about any other items you may have picked up:
- Throwing nets will pin Tiamat down for several turns, giving you time to flee or deal some serious stabbing damage.
- A phantom mirror creates a clone for a few turns; a friendly version of Tiamat is one of the strongest allies you can ask for.
- A scroll of vulnerability can make it reasonable to paralyse, polymorph, or otherwise hex her. Just beware the usual risks of this scroll.
In Babylonian mythology, Tiamat is a goddess considered to be the monstrous embodiment of primordial chaos. Although there are no early precedents for it, some sources (including Dungeons & Dragons) identify her with images of a sea serpent or dragon.