|| In ages past, the most powerful mages — many of whom you may have heard of — would frequently find or construct small realms sealed off from the rest of the world, where they could isolate themselves in the pursuit of ever-greater magical knowledge and power. The mages are long gone, but many of their arcane laboratories still exist, filled with the results of their experiments. Those willing to explore these laboratories may find powerful magical treasure, but be warned: the wizards to whom these labs belonged to deserved their reputations.
Wizard Laboratories (or Wizlabs) are a collection of mini-branches, most of which are themed around and named after a particular wizard mentioned elsewhere in the game. Each contains a significant amount of loot, as well as unique challenges and enemies found nowhere else in the game. Only one wizard laboratory can generate per game, and not all games are guaranteed to have one. They can be accessed through timed portals randomly found in the Depths, the Vaults, the Crypt, or the Elven Halls.
List of Wizard Laboratories
- Alistair's Party Mansion - The party of the century, featuring many a wizard.
- Borgnjor's Mausoleum - A cemetery filled with the undead, who rise as lost souls when killed.
- Cigotuvi's Fleshworks - Twisting halls full of the results of twisted experiments. Only the fortunate will escape with their genes unscathed.
- Cloud Mages' Chambers - Halls full of clouds and creatures of the winds. At the end waits a master Air Mage.
- Doroklohe's Tomb - Many powerful entities lie quietly entombed here, but their tombs will not stay closed for long...
- Eringya's Formal Garden - A plant haven, filled with ranged monsters tending to the garden.
- Hall of the Hellbinder - An evil temple filled with demons and the cultists that traffic with them.
- Iskenderun's Mystic Tower - Chock full of students of Iskenderun, all of whom are happy to practice their Conjurations on intruders.
- Lehudib's Moon Base - A stronghold full of astral horrors, creatures of metal and stone, and the legendary Moon Troll.
- Maxwell's Workshop - Filled with big, meaty workers who wield big, meaty maces -- and many of Maxwell's dusty inventions.
- Roulette of Golubria - An extradimensional series of rooms linked by teleporters and filled with denizens of the Abyss.
- Tukima's Studio - A danceroom filled with dancing weapons, walking tomes, and... you?
- Wucad Mu's Monastery - A timeless monastery patrolled by the shades of monks from ages past. The orange crystal statue in the center is the source of these apparitions.
- Yara's Duelist Academy- Featuring many warrior-mages-in-training, as well as the Head Instructor who is a master wielding two antimagic triple swords.
- Zonguldrok's Shrine - A shrine guarded by the unquiet dead and skeletal warriors. Zonguldrok himself will rise as a mighty lich to punish grave robbers.